I know a lot of people say beets yuck. I think beets have gotten a bad rap. I believe it is an acquired taste. Earthy rustic colored morsels of healthy goodness, packed with vitamins and minerals. My parents make pickled red beets that I love. I have had Borscht at a Ukrainian Baba's farm, absolutely deli-sh with a dollop of sour cream. Recently I was at a friends place and he inspired me to use more beets. He had me taste the pickled red beets and fresh goat feta cheese, this filled my head with all sorts of ideas and is what inspired me to come up with this beautiful recipe.
The other day our neighbor Connie from across the alley gave us some beets that she grew in this amazing garden she has. If anyone has been blessed with the mother nature vibe it is Connie, her's and Gerry's yard is an amazing thing, pond, flagstone walk ways, cedar fence partitions, lovely flowers and trees and yes an organic garden of great vegetables.
Seeing these beets and after cutting into them and their canvas of marbleized rich colors of orange, red and cream opened me to an idea of a nice warm side dish. Slightly steamed, then tossed with Italian gold (extra virgin olive oil), herbs, salt and pepper, then into a nice hot oven to bake till caramelized and grilled, and to add yet another level of flavor tossed them with some nice fresh goat feta cheese.
The first bite a hint of earthiness followed by the sweetness of the juices, taste buds dancing as the olive oil and herbs hit the senses, accompanied by both the creaminess and the acidity of the feta, I love this dish even as a main coarse just on its own but will make anything savory shine in partnership with it, like baked white wine chicken, or grilled lamb chops, even a nice marinated tofu done on the grill, anything is possible when we walk through the fear of failure. My motto is: try! If you like it great, if you don't file "G".
Nicoletta is not a fan of beets, but I have to say she did like these morsels, she ate quite a few, my work is done!
Thanks Connie and Gerry for the wonderful veggies!
I would love to hear some of your ideas about beets, even your stories. The greatest thing in life we have is sharing with each other.Print
- 2 cups beets chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh chives chopped
- 1 teaspoon of fresh parsley chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh basil chopped
- ½ teaspoon fresh rosemary chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 table spoons extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup of goat feta crumbled
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Wash and clean beets cutting the stems off.
- Cut beets in half and put in a pot, cover with water and bring to boil for about 10 minutes depending on the size of the beets.
- In a bowl mix olive oil, chives, parsley, basil, rosemary, and minced garlic.
- Toss in beets and mix well seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread out beets.
- Place in oven and cook for about 20 minutes or until slightly browning on the edges.
- Take out of oven and place in bowl.
- Sprinkle in feta cheese and mix well.
- Pour into serving dish, garnish with parsley and enjoy.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
When I am not cooking, I enjoy playing musical instruments, singing, writing. I have learned over the years to live in gratitude and enjoy the moment.