Riso e Lenticchie (Rice and Lentil Soup) is a classic dish of the Italian cuisine. Rustic, simple and packed with nutrients, it is a healthy comfort food that warms up your body and soul. Naturally vegan and gluten-free, Rice and Lentil Soup is perfect for winter but appreciated all year long.
- about 250 g dried lentils, soaked for 1–2 hours
- about 500 ml water
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 rosemary sprig
- 2–3 Tbsp e.v.o. oil
- 1/4 yellow onion
- 1/2 carrot
- 1/2 celery stalk
- a pinch of peperoncino (chili flakes)
- about 300 g crushed tomatoes or passata (we used my dad’s homemade passata)
- 180–190 g Carnaroli or Arborio rice (we use Carnaroli)
- If using dried lentils, soak the lentils in water for 1-2 hours. Rinse and drain.
- Cook the lentils on low heat in double the amount of water with a clove of garlic and a rosemary sprig for about 20 minutes. Add water if necessary. Drain with a slotted spoon, leaving the cooking water aside.
- In a saucepan, add the olive oil, minced carrot, onion, celery and a pinch of chili flakes. Saute until softened, for a few minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce and cook on low/medium heat for 5-10 minutes.
- Add the lentils and half of the cooking water. Stir and turn off heat. Turn the heat on medium a few minutes before you add the rice.
- In a pot of salted boiling water over medium heat, add the rice and cook for half of the cooking time (about 10 minutes).
- Drain, then add to the saucepan with the lentils/sauce.
- Keep cooking until the rice is cooked and lentils are tender and broth reduced.
- Turn off heat, let sit for a couple of minutes, then plate.
- Buon Appetito!
The prep time includes the soaking of the lentils for 2 hours. If you are using canned ones, your time will reduce considerably. Start from step 3.
The right consistency of this soup is quite soft, not dry like a risotto. It is, however, possible to adjust it to your taste by adding more or less liquid.
You could also cook the rice together with the lentils. At step 5, add more water and when it boils, add the rice and cook it for the required time.