Red Kidney Bean Summer Salad with Feta. There are some summer salads that are memorable and this salad is one of those. Its colors and textures are vibrant and exquisite. Furthermore, the flavors playing in this bowl will tantalize your taste buds to no end. Each bite offering a new delightful and exciting experience!
Song of the day: Intentions by Justin Bieber.
[This post is sponsored by Ontario Bean Growers. We’ve been compensated but -as always- all opinions are our own.]
Red Kidney Bean Summer Salad with Feta. Holding onto summer is something I do. I love the warmth, sunshine, and sounds of the summer months. One thing for sure, I am not alone in those feelings! However, there is another important factor of summer, and that is the flavors and recipes that grace our picnic and dining tables at this time. Dishes like this salad which host fresh healthy ingredients and delectable hits of brightness that bring only summer smiles to our faces.
Beans glorious beans!............
Beans for me hold many wonderful memories. Growing up Italian gave me the opportunity to really appreciate food. Both my parents were amazing cooks and they loved their bean dishes. Pasta e Fagioli, (pasta and beans), Rapini e fagioli (Italian rapini and cannellini beans), Fagioli in umido (pan-steamed beans), or like we have made today, Insalata di Fagioli, (bean salad). A good salad with beans is what I love and consequently, this Red Kidney Bean Summer Salad with Feta gives you everything under the sun and more!
Friends and food.............
I can't think of anything better than to have friends with me in the kitchen helping prepare a wonderful meal that we will sit down to and eat together. These days it is a bit difficult given the present situation, however, I am a believer that when the going gets tough, the tough get resources and going! With that being said, come with me, let's get into the kitchen and share some time preparing wonderful delicious food and above all plenty of laughs, virtually speaking that is!
This is what you will need:
- Red kidney beans
- Sweet yellow and red peppers
- Grape tomatoes
- Small cucumbers
- Red onion
- Mint leaves
- Basil leaves
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
Now that you have all the ingredients it's time to put this baby together!
In the end, you can't get any easier than this. Imagine a hot summer day, the house is smoldering, the last thing you want to do is fire up the oven or stove, consequently putting the temperature through the roof! That's why they invented barbecues so we could cook outside, lol. So with that being said, let me tell you how to put this Red Kidney Bean Summer Salad with Feta together, a wonderful side dish to anything grilled!
- Firstly have all your veggies washed and prepped, herbs chopped. If using canned beans then just give them a rinse. In addition, you could use dry, however, that will add a bit of work to the process, like soaking, washing, and cooking. If that is the way you want to go, then I say go for it!
- Secondly, combine all the veggies and beans in a bowl, completed with a nice toss.
- After that, time to whisk up the dressing. Olive oil, lemon juice, a pinch of sugar, salt, and pepper. Get your forearms in the action, above all else, we need to get the veggies acquainted with the dressing, so in you go!
- Lastly, some crumbled feta because it is going to be delicious, and we are done.
That's it, just a few minutes to let it marinade and we are ready to serve!
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder
To me, this looks absolutely beautiful, similar to a summer canvas. However, I am biased, lol. Vibrant colors, wonderful aroma, all dancing wonderfully in a bowl. That is my personal opinion, however, it may be yours too, which would be fantastic! It is definitely time to taste, and you can see for yourself!
Talk about flavor and texture..............
Wow!................................. I have to first say that the simplicity of the dressing is perfect to bring out each and every individual ingredient. The plump sweetness of the tomatoes, that red onion mmmmmmmmm. The cucumbers so fresh and crunchy, and those sweet peppers just out of this world good. Let's talk feta because it is so absolutely delicious. That acidity perfect with the lemon hits and sweet earthiness of all the ingredients. Furthermore, last but not least, those red kidney beans. Starchy with a nice textured bite and their nuttiness balance out this salad tremendously with an end result better than imaginable.
In essence, I live my life in gratitude as much as I can and when I don't I have to regroup and try again. As they say, if you don't succeed, then try and try again. That's me. Above all, I want to thank you for joining me in making this shut-the-front-door, extra easy-breezy, fresh, healthy, and so summer colorful Red Kidney Bean Summer Salad with Feta. It has been a pleasure sharing this experience with you. Furthermore, a bunch of gratitude for supporting Nicoletta and me in our dream!
In conclusion, have fun in the kitchen, laugh, dance, and enjoy the fruits of your labor!
If you want to check more great bean recipes, go to Ontario Bean's recipe library.Print
- 1 can red kidney beans (about 320 g)
- 2 mini sweet peppers, yellow, red
- 10 grape tomatoes
- ¼ red onion, about 2 Tbsp
- 1 small cucumber
- a handful of mint leaves
- 3-4 basil leaves
- ¼ cup feta
- the juice of ½ a lemon
- 2 Tbsp evo oil
- pinch of sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Drain the red kidney beans and rinse. Place in a large bowl.
- Wash the tomatoes, peppers, cucumber, basil and mint leaves.
- In a small bowl add extra virgin olive oil, salt, pepper, a pinch of sugar and lemon juice. Whisk well to combine.
- Cut the tomatoes in half, dice the peppers, cucumbers, and onions. Add to the beans and toss.
- Sliver the basil and mint leaves, then add to the bowl. Toss.
- Crumble the feta on top and add the lemon vinaigrette.
- Toss again, taste for seasoning, and serve.
You can add or switch vegetables/herbs as you most like. You could use tuna instead of feta.
You can omit the feta to keep it vegan or use a vegan cheese.
It keeps well in the fridge in an airtight container until the next day.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Side dish
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: red kidney beans, salad, feta, lemon vinaigrette, mint, summer, basil,
When I am not cooking, I enjoy playing musical instruments, singing, writing. I have learned over the years to live in gratitude and enjoy the moment.