I remember the first time I ate Asian food I was around 12 years old and my uncle invited my family over for dinner. He told us we were going to have Chinese food and to us that maybe meant something dirty as I was raised in a traditional Italian family where the best food was prepared at home in your own kitchen, but not to hurt feelings we all agreed to try it. It was a little local place called The Rickshaw and they only served take out.
Well that day we were all hooked, we loved the vegetables and beef, the deep fried crispy shrimp and various other dishes. To this day my parents still go out for a bit of Asian. For me, it enticed me to figure out how to make it. I watched Asian cook shows like cooking with Yan and began to develop my own style. I began to experiment with different Asian cultures and Thai cuisine became another one of my favorites to make.
I hope you enjoy this dish, packed with flavor and a most unique sweetness mixed with savory spices making a great dichotomy in regards to cooking and flavor.
Enjoy Red curry coconut shrip with vermicelli noodles.Print
- 12 uncooked deveined shrimp (tails off optional)
- 1 small yellow pepper
- 1 small red pepper
- ½ a small onion
- 2 stalks green onion
- 4 shitake mushrooms
- 1 clove garlic
- 3 slices ginger minced
- 4 basil leaves
- ½ cup vegetable stalk
- ¼ cup coconut cream or milk
- 2 teaspoons of red curry paste
- 2 bunches od dry vermicelli noodles.
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Cut up onions, red pepper, yellow peppers, lengthwise and thin. Mince garlic and ginger. Chop up basil.
- Heat peanut oil and sesame oil in a wok, add onions, peppers, mushrooms. Add shrimp and stir fry till shrimp turn pink in color.
- Toss in basil, salt, pepper, red curry paste, vegetable stalk and let simmer for about 15 minutes on low heat.
- While this is simmering, in a deep pot bring water to a boil and put in the vermicelli noodles take off heat and take vermicelli out and place on plate.
- Pour shrimp and vegetables on top, chop up green onion and sprinkle on top. Serve.
- Serving Size: 4 portions