A beautiful, light and fluffy sponge cake filled with a delectable, organic, raspberry jam, shaped into a lovely swiss roll.
Happy Mother's day Mamma! Sorry that I am so so far away from you. If I was closer, at least in the same continent, I would definitely bring you this Raspberry Jam Swiss Roll and we would eat it on the terrace with a nice cup of tea. I know raspberry jam is one of your favorites, as it is mine, and I know how much you like swiss rolls, the chocolate one being our weekness. I made the cake like you taught me to, with egg yolks and sugar well beated together (we call it Pan di Spagna) and it came out as it should be: soft and spongy, like angel food.
I made it thinking of you and our nice time in the kitchen, cooking and baking together. I miss those times, you know. But I only had happy thoughts while baking. You can affect food with your mood and emotion, I always remember that. In a passage from "Like Water for Chocolate", Tita's emotions come through in the food she prepares. When she cries into the cake batter while making Pedro's wedding cake, the people who eat the cake suddenly feel the same heartbreak, loss and longing, they begin to weep and some even get sick. No one wants that for the food they prepare. You want to transmit the love that you put in your food for people who eat it. That's the beauty of it.
And love I want to transmit through this cake. It is not a difficult cake to make, it only requires some patience and delicacy when rolling it onto its form. A wet towel is a great help indeed. You'll be so proud of yourselves when everything comes together and the swiss roll looks simply beautiful. It made me so incredibly happy. Love the sponginess, color and airiness of the cake, love the beautiful touch of color of the raspberry jam, an organic one from another great local producer, The Jam Lady.
But if you want, you can spread Nutella, or better yet, an organic chocolate hazelnut cream on the swiss roll. That's what we do sometimes.
A sprinkle of icing sugar on top and it's good to go for our Mother's day celebration at my mother in law's.
But I'll make you one, mamma, when I come in the summer. Love you!
Enjoy your Mother's Day wherever you are!Print
- 4 eggs
- 100 g sugar
- 100 g flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 jam jar of your choice (I used raspberry)
- icing sugar for the topping
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Line a baking sheet with parchement paper.
- In two different bowls separate the egg yolks from the whites.
- Beat the egg whites to form a stiff peak.
- Beat the egg yolkes with the sugar until a foamy creamy consistency.
- Add the sifted flour and baking powder to the yolk mixture.
- Delicately incorporate the egg whites to the egg/flour mixture.
- Pour the batter onto the pre-lined baking sheet.
- Cook in the oven on middle rack for about 10 minutes or until Golden brown.
- Place the cake on a damp towel and remove the parchment paper from the top.
- Roll the cake lenghtwise with the help of the damp towel and let cool.
- When it has cooled off, delicately unroll the cake and spread the jam on top.
- With the same delicacy roll the cake again onto itself.
- Cut the ends and sprinkle with icing sugar.
- Serving Size: 8 portions