- 1 pound of extra lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup of pancetta minced
- 2 celery stalks chopped finely
- 1 large carrot chopped finely
- 1/2 yellow onion chopped finely
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 of the 796ml can of san marzano D.O.P. Tomatoes pureed
- 1 can tomato paste
- 1 glass red wine
- 1 cup milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 400 grams good quality Italian pasta (usually spaghetti)
- In a heavy cast pot drizzle olive oil to cover bottom of pot.Toss in celery, carrots, onions, bay leaf.
- Sauté till onions are translucent.
- Add ground beef breaking it up till it is a fine crumble .
- Add minced pancetta and cook until brown
- Stir in wine and let evaporate a bit.
- Stir in milk, keep some to add later.
- Toss in tomato paste, san marzano tomatoes pureed and blend.
- Simmer for 4 hours adding milk as the moisture dissipates.
- Turn off heat and let sit.
- In a large pot fill with water and salt to taste, bring to boil. Add the pasta and see cooking times but most brands are anywhere in between 8 to 12 minutes.
- Toss in pan with sauce.
- Plate and sprinkle with grated parmigiano reggiano.
- Serving Size: 4 portions