Potato and Tomato Bake (Patate e Pomodori al Forno), a combination of richness meets starchiness with a whole lot of flavor and texture, tipping the comfort scale in a big way!
- 2 large yellow cipolline onions, cut into thin rounds
- 1 Kg (2 lbs) potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced into rounds
- 450 g (1 lb) harvest tomatoes, cut into thin rounds
- 6 Tbsp e.v.o. oil
- 115 g (1 cup) grated Parmigiano
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Handful fresh basil leaves, broken up by hand
- Splash of water (2 oz)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Brush a generous amount of olive oil in a 9×14″ baking dish.
- Arrange a layer of onions on the bottom.
- Top that with a layer of potatoes.
- Then a layer of tomatoes.
- I find it best to season each layer with a splash of olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Repeat this layer process until all the potato, tomato and onion are finished.
- End with the top layer being overlapped.
- Pour in the water, and finish by sprinkling the grated Parmigiano on top.
- Drizzle some olive oil all through out.
- Place into heated oven and bake for 1 hour or until potatoes are fork tender and top is nice and crispy golden brown.
- Take out of oven.
- Cut into desired portions.
If you find that the top is getting too brown, place a sheet of aluminum foil.
You can also use a baking sheet and cover with that.