Potato Salad Deluxe with Grilled Avocado! This dish is the perfect accompaniment to an outside BBQ meal. Loads of flavor and texture from purple cabbage to boiled egg and some nice hits of char from the grilled veggies including a grilled avocado, not to mention a wonderful mayo mustard dressing that adds just the right amount of creaminess to take this salad right over the top!
- 6 medium red skin potatoes, brushed and washed
- 1 avocado
- 2 Tbsp E.V.O. oil
- Medium yellow onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 1/2 cups shredded purple cabbage
- 1 cob corn, peeled and washed
- A red bell pepper
- 2 free-range chicken eggs
- A couple of green onions, chopped
- 1 Tbsp salt water packed capers, chopped
- 2 Tbsp olive oil mayo
- Grainy mustard
- 3 cloves roasted garlic
- Salt and pepper
- 1 Tbsp dried dill
- 3 Tbsp fresh chopped parsley and cilantro
- Cut potatoes in half leaving skin on, and place in a large pot with water and boil until fork tender. Drain, cool, and cut into chunks. Set aside
- At the same time as the potatoes, place cob of corn into another pot of water and boil till cooked, drain, and cool. Do the same for the eggs. I put eggs in a pot of water, wait for it to boil, then cook for 10 minutes. Rinse with cold water, peel, and set aside.
- Also, sprinkle a bit of oil in a saute pan and throw in the onions and purple cabbage about 10-15 minutes.
- While the potatoes and corn are boiling, and cabbage is sauteing, mix some salt, pepper, and olive oil in a bowl. Cut avocado in half and take out pit. Brush inside of avocado with oil mixture and do the same with the corn after it is done. Pack up the cloves of garlic in some tin foil, brush with some oil mixture, and close the foil tight around the garlic.
- Heat up the grill, place avocado flesh side down, red pepper, corn and garlic pouch onto the grill and cook till garlic is soft, corn has a nice char, red pepper is pretty charred all over, and avocado has some nice grill marks. Take off grill and let cool. Place red pepper into a plastic bag and close.
- Shuck corn into a bowl, cut up egg, peel the outside of the red pepper, and clean out the inside then dice. Then, scoop avocado out of skin and chop up.
- Place potatoes, avocado, corn, red pepper, chopped green onion, fresh parsley and cilantro, dried dill, sauteed onions and cabbage, chopped capers, and gently mix with a spoon in the bowl.
- Mix up mustard, mayo, roasted garlic into the ramekin until creamy smooth. You can add some olive oil to soften it a bit, and pour over the top of the potato mixture. Blend well until the dressing is nicely distributed all over the salad. Taste and season with salt and pepper and some paprika. Mix well.
- Garnish with some fresh chopped cilantro, chopped green onion, and this baby is ready to serve.
- I used the olive oil mayo. It has a rich flavor but if you have the regular mayo that is fine.
- If your dressing is too thick, thin it out with some oil.