Potato Salad Deluxe with Grilled Avocado. When I think of this type of salad, I think summer, outdoor gatherings, and nothing but smiles and fun times. I wanted to play a bit creatively and added some very interesting and tasty twists to take this from the norm potato salad to something luxurious!
Song of the day: "Summer Breeze" by Seals and Croft.
Potato Salad Deluxe with Grilled Avocado. This dish is the perfect accompaniment to an outside BBQ meal. Loads of flavor and texture from purple cabbage to boiled egg and some nice hits of char from the grilled veggies including a grilled avocado, not to mention a wonderful mayo mustard dressing that adds just the right amount of creaminess to take this salad right over the top!
Fond memories of a time gone by.........
Whenever I smell potato salad I always reminisce about our times at the lake or our outside gatherings when I was young. I remember the smell of boiled egg, green onion, and that ever so creamy dressing my mom and dad would make. It was the perfect side to a delicious hot dog, grilled chicken, rib, or steak.
It was not only about the food but about the joy and the fun we had those days. No stress, no schedule, just all out living with nature and plenty of imagination to make it enjoyable.
Today I am infusing those memories into this dish. I could not call it just 'potato salad' because it is so much more! So, in the end, and as a result of my creativity, it was named Potato Salad Deluxe with Grilled Avocado. Yes, that's right, grilled avocado! Yummy!
Let's gather up the ingredients, shall we..........
- Red skin potatoes brushed and washed
- 1 ripe avocado
- Medium yellow onion
- 1 cob corn
- A red bell pepper
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 free-range chicken eggs
- A couple of green onions
- Some capers chopped
- Grainy mustard
- Salt and pepper
- Some dried dill
- Freshly chopped parsley and cilantro
Let the fun begin..................
So this recipe is relatively easy, just some initial boiling, grilling, and then some mixing. It goes something like this:
- Cut potatoes in half leaving the skin on, place in a large pot with water, and boil until fork-tender. Drain, cool, and cut into chunks, then set aside.
- At the same time as the potatoes, place cob of corn into a pot of water and boil till cooked, then drain, and cool. Do the same for the eggs.
- Next, sprinkle a bit of oil in a saute pan and throw in the onions and purple cabbage.
- While the potatoes and corn are boiling, mix some salt, pepper, and olive oil in a bowl. Cut avocado in half and take out the pit. Brush the inside of the avocado with oil mixture and do the same with the corn after it is done. Pack up the cloves of garlic in some tin foil, brush with some oil mixture and close the foil tight around the garlic.
- Heat up the grill, place avocado flesh side down, red pepper, corn, and garlic pouch onto the grill and cook till garlic is soft, corn has a nice char and red pepper is pretty charred all over, and avocado has some nice grill marks. Take off grill and let cool. Place red pepper into a plastic bag and close.
- Shuck corn into a bowl, cut up egg, peel the outside of the red pepper and clean out the inside then dice. Also, scoop the avocado out of the skin and chop up.
We are halfway to being able to chomp on this delectable salad. Yesssssssss.....
Time to combine all these incredible flavors................
Okay, we have everything cooked, chopped, and ready to get into a bowl to mingle together. Next.........
- Place potatoes, avocado, corn, red pepper, chopped green onion, fresh parsley and cilantro, dried dill, sauteed onions and cabbage, chopped capers, and gently mix with a spoon in the bowl.
- Mix up mustard, mayo, roasted garlic into the ramekin until creamy smooth. You can add some olive oil to soften it a bit, and pour over the top of the potato mixture. Blend well until the dressing is nicely distributed all over the salad. Taste and season with salt and pepper and some paprika. Mix well.
- Garnish with some fresh chopped cilantro, chopped green onion, and this baby is ready to serve.
Just the aroma alone is making my mouth water. I can smell those green onion, the acidity of the capers, the egg, nice hit of mustard. I just have to get some on a plate and have a taste.
Somebody shut the front door, lol...................
OMG, my taste buds are alive! The potatoes are soft velvety with added extra texture and taste from the skin. The charred smoky, nuttiness of the corn is blissful. I taste the smoky sweetness of the red pepper which pairs so well with the sweet onion and still slightly crisp sauteed purple cabbage.
The capers, and dill, offer a nice twist with their flavor and acidity.
The egg is beautiful, love the color of that yolk, and the taste is just pure luxuriousness. The green onion just brightens every mouthful with the added parsley and that funk of the cilantro, beautiful!
I have to say the dressing is perfect. The olive oil mayo accompanied by the sweetness of the roasted garlic, and grainy mustard just pulls all the flavors together. Similarly, that grilled avocado is the bomb. Rich, creamy, smoky, utterly crazy delicious.
It has been a crazy time in the world, even in my personal life. We are in desperate need of some good fun, peaceful, loving, joyful vibes. I think a nice family back yard lunch or dinner accompanied by great food like this Potato Salad Deluxe with Grilled Avocado is just what the doctor ordered!
Enjoy and stay safe!
Song of the day: "Summer Breeze" by Seals and Croft.Print