What do you get when you combine two favorite meal times, with two absolutely delicious meals? Yes, believe it or not, a Breakfast Portobello Mushroom Eggs Benny Pizza! Make tonight's dinner breakfast, or bring dinner to your breakfast table!
Song of the day: "Crazy on You" by Heart.
[This post is sponsored by Mushrooms Canada]
For the Breakfast and Pizza lovers
I have been wanting to do this for a long time! My daughter Alexa loves breakfast and often says she is having breakfast for dinner. So when I was thinking of a recipe for Mushrooms Canada, this came to mind. Why not combine eggs benny with a pizza and use Portobello mushrooms. Guess what, it happened and here it is in all its luxurious splendor!
The four stars of Breakfast Portobello Mushroom Eggs Benny Pizza!
There are four stars to this breakfast pizza:
- Firstly the dough, one of Nicoletta's tried and true recipes that is so simple and rises wonderfully! If you want, you can use store-bought.
- Secondly the mushrooms. Beautiful meaty Portobello mushroom sautéed in garlic and onions and so much more elevating this wonderful earth gem to new heights.
- Thirdly the soft poached eggs. Soft, silky, and furthermore, when cut into it, a lovely slow stream of yolky goodness!
- Lastly, and above all not least, the hollandaise. A rich, buttery, wine-infused, dill herbed cream that just wins your heart over!
Some prep work first!
Before we assemble this wonderful Breakfast Portobello Mushroom Eggs Benny Pizza, a few things we need to prepare:
- To start off, if you're not using store-bought, the dough needs to be done. A simple adding of flour, yeast, water, salt, and olive oil in a food processor. Furthermore, some arm work, and in a few hours you have a dough ready to spread into a pizza.
- The next step is to get those mushrooms sautéed in a pan with hot olive oil, melted butter, onions, garlic, a few herbs, and red chili flakes. More so, for added flavor, a nice steam bath in some clear white Pinot Grigio wine!
- Many are scared of this, poaching eggs. I was one of those people but thanks to food TV I have found my poaching groove! Water and rice wine vinegar into a sauce pan. Bring it to boil, stir the water so it swirls, and then slowly crack the eggs in. End result, a wonderful soft poached egg for those that love that famous runny yolk!
- Lastly the sauce. Who doesn't love hollandaise. Well, maybe there are a few, who knows. As for me, I absolutely love it. I am not an expert at homemade hollandaise, but I am working on it. I used a pre-packaged hollandaise sauce. As you all know I can't just leave it like that, because I am Loreto, Mr. Creative by trade. I added white wine, fresh dill, lemon juice and a dusting of smoked paprika, just because!
Sealing the deal of this Breakfast Portobello Mushroom Eggs Benny Pizza!
Now that we have all our components ready, we can finally put this bad boy, or girl, together. I am all for equality, lol!
- Before we begin, we need to get that oven nice and hot so turn it on to 425 degrees F.
- Time to stretch that dough. Lightly oil a 12 inch pizza pan. I start by stretching the dough a little in my hands. Here comes a confession, I love the feeling of that soft dough in my hands and the way it just falls over my fist as I shape it into a round! Then into the center of the pizza pan and with my fingers I work it to the edges creating a nice voluptuous border.
- Spoon some hollandaise onto the dough and then layer the mushroom onion mixture evenly throughout!
- More so, we want something to bond the eggs to the mushrooms so on goes the lovingly torn fresh mozzarella and then the poached eggs.
- Lastly, some more of the hollandaise, hey not too much, we want to see those mushrooms and egg, with the pools of melted mozzarella! And into the hot oven you go!
I can't wait. It looks so good! Yummy! Maybe a little spoonful of hollandaise can help with that craving!!
Somebody hold my feet, I'm floating!
The aroma and look of this Breakfast Portobello Mushroom Eggs Benny Pizza has me in the clouds. I feel like I am dreaming. I better come down because I need to have a taste.
The buttery/wine smell of the hollandaise is fantastic and paired with the crust so golden, and more so, those lovely earthy aromatic mushrooms, tells me this is going to be a pure delight to eat. Oh wait, just a little more drizzle of hollandaise!
If thoughts could speak about this Breakfast Portobello Mushroom Eggs Benny Pizza!
I think I am hearing a lot of your thoughts right now. Cut into that egg! Cut into that egg! Okay I am going to cut into the EGG!
La crème de la crème!
How's that, all of you, did I pass? I think so! Look at that yolk running all over the melted cheese, mushroom and that crust. Truly excuse me I really need a bite right now! A moment of silence please.............
OMG! I don't know where to start. Okay, well, let's talk about that egg, it is luscious. The yolk rich, golden, and works so well with the crispy crust. Don't you just love when you bite into a slice and you hear that glorious crunch?
The hollandaise is perfect, sweet, acidic. The dill plays wonderfully to bring interest to the sauce, and that white wine, yum. More so, the Portobello mushroom is ultra juicy, so meaty and plump, perfect combo with the crust, the hollandaise and the egg! Sorry I have to go. Furthermore, this is too good not to give it my full undivided attention!
Spice your your breakfast or have a luxurious breakfast for dinner. Either way, this Breakfast Portobello Mushroom Eggs Benny Pizza is the way to go!