Portobellini Cheese Melts with Pesto and Peppers, an appetizer that will have you smacking your lips beginning with the meaty succulent Portobellini mushroom taking you into the wonderfully sweet pepper stuffing sitting on a tasty bed of pesto, finally finishing with a gooey cheesy Fontina topping.
- 6 large Portobellini mushrooms
- 1/2 cup of mixed minced onion (yellow and purple)
- 1 red pepper
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 6 teaspoons pesto
- 1/2 cup of grated Fontina cheese (or cheese of your choice)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Clean and remove the stem from Portobellini and mince.
- Dice up onions and peppers. Mince garlic.
- Heat up olive oil in a sauté pan.
- Toss in onions, peppers, minced mushroom stems. Season with oregano, salt and pepper.
- Cook till softened then add garlic and cook for another 2-3 minutes on medium to high heat. Set aside.
- Pre-heat oven to 350° F (180°C).
- Drizzle a bit of olive oil on mushroom tops.
- On a baking sheet place mushrooms top side down, and season with salt and pepper.
- Place a 1/2 teaspoon of pesto into center of inside mushroom and spread evenly.
- Then add a couple of teaspoon fulls of the onion pepper mix, and top with some of the grated Fontina cheese.
Time to bake:
- Place baking sheet in the middle rack of the oven and bake till cheese is melted and turning golden brown, roughly about 25 minutes.
- Take out of the oven and serve.
These can be done in bite-size brown mushrooms or Crimini mushrooms, too!
We tried them with arugula pesto instead of basil pesto and they were great as well.
We love Fontina but you can be creative and use a favorite cheese of yours.
- Category: Vegetarian/appetizer
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: Portobellini mushrooms, appetizer, fontina cheese, red peppers, yellow peppers, oregano, onions, vegetarian, pesto,