- 2.5 kg about 6 pounds of organic pork shoulder (bone out and butterflied)
- 1/4 cups evo oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp fresh basil hand torn
- 3 tbsp fresh rosemary chopped
- 3 tbsp fresh thyme
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley chopped fine
- 1 tbsp fresh ground corriander
- 1 tbsp fresh ground fennel seeds
- 1 tsp pink himilayan sea salt
- 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 2 fresh sage leaves chopped
- 2 tbsp dried oregano
- Pinch of chili flakes
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 3 tbsp evo oil
- 1 sage leaf
- 2 bay leaves
- pinch of salt and pepper
- In a medium bowl combine evo oil, garlic, basil, rosemary, thyme, parsley, coriander, fennel, sea salt, pepper, sage, chili flakes, dried oregano, lemon juice. Blend well.
- Unroll butterflied pork shoulder.
- Take about 3/4 of the herb rub and massage it into the flesh of the interior of the pork.
- Roll the shoulder up forming a roll.
- Rub the remaining herb mixture over the top skin and sides of the pork roll.
- Place in a medium roasting pan.
- In a bowl combine evo oil, white wine, sage leaf, bay leaves, mix well and pour into the roasting pan.
- Sprinkle pork roll with salt and pepper.
- Place cover on roasting pan and put in the fridge.
- Marinate for 48 hours.
- Using butchers twine start at one end forming a loop and tighten and knot.
- Conntinue down the pork roll every 1 inch or so till you get to the end.
- Then bring twine down the top center back to the loop you started at.
- Go over the side and run twine to the bottom and under the loops and through the center till you come to the end tie in a knot to secure the net you have created.
- Tie a knot
- Take porchetta out of fridge and put on counter for about 20 minutes or until it comes to room temperature.
- Heat oven to 425° F and place porchetta into the oven.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Put porchetta onto a rotisserie skewer.
- Secure with rotisserie forks and place on pre heated 350 F barbecue
- Place roaster with marinating liquid on the side of the grill and turn heat off on that side.
- Baste porchetta with the heated marinating liquid.
- Grill for 2 and 1/2 hours or till the pork comes to a 160° F temperature, continually basting.
- Take off rotisserie and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Cut bread into 1/4 inch thick slices.
- Brush olive oil on both sides and place on a baking sheet.
- Place in a 350° F oven and bake till toasted a bit.
- Cut nice slices of the porchetta.
- Place slices onto bread.
- Place bread on top.
- Ready to eat.
Remeber you need 48 hours for marinating time.
You will also need 15 minutes to let the meat rest after cooking.
If you are having trouble tieing up the porchetta with butchers twine, look up a procedure on U Tube, there are quite a few good videos.
If you are not good at butchering ask your butcher to de-bone and butterfly the pork shoulder.