Pollo al Limone (Lemon Chicken with olives and peppers), is a recipe handed down from generation to generation typical of La Cucina Italiana. Rustic, vibrant flavors meet succulent roasted chicken. Perfect for that family-style meal, and oh so finger licking good!
- 1/2 chicken (about 1/2 kg-1 pound), cut in pieces
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 1 Tbsp oregano
- 1 large garlic clove, cut into 3 slices
- 3 small bay leaves
- salt and pepper
Ingredients for roasting:
- 2 small red peppers, slivered
- 25 g (1 Tbsp) pitted black olives
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lemon, sliced
- Cut the chicken into pieces and wash. Add to a big bowl and sprinkle lemon juice on top. Dust with oregano, salt and pepper, add garlic and bay leaves, and toss well.
- Cover and let marinate for 12 hours.
- When it's time to cook, preheat the oven to 375° F (190° C).
- Take the bay leaves out, place the chicken in a rectangular oven safe dish (we used a 9-inch by 14-inch). Add the slivered peppers and the black olives.
- Add few tablespoons of the marinade and 2 Tbsp olive oil. Place the lemon slices on top and bake in the preheated oven for about 1 hour, flipping chicken over at about halfway through the cooking time,
- The last 3-4 minutes, turn chicken over again (skin side up) and broil on low until nice and golden.
- At the moment of serving, place chicken on a serving platter, and pour juices on top and evenly distribute the red peppers, olives, and lemon slices.
The total time includes the 12 hours of the marinade. You can marinate the chicken in the morning and it will be ready to put in the oven when you come back home from work.
You can just buy your favorite chicken pieces instead of buying a whole chicken. Buying a whole chicken is more budget friendly (and you can freeze the other half for later use).
- Category: Main
- Method: baked
- Cuisine: Italian