Pizza with mortadella, burrata, and pistachios, the pizza of all pizzas hosting some pretty amazing Italian favorite ingredients. A beautiful thin crisp crust meets melted mozzarella and yellow date tomatoes, topped with fresh mortadella, strands of burrata, and crushed pistachios. The end result, simply exquisite.
Song of the day: "The Way You make me Feel" by Michael Jackson
Pizza with mortadella, burrata, and pistachios, inspired by a trip to Italy!
It had been three years since we had traveled to Italy together. I sure did miss it. This year we decided to travel back home in July. During our stay there we spent some time in the Cilento region which is just down from the Amalfi coast. Mountains meets see in a most heavenly landscape, offering the best of seasonal ingredients, and incredible food. It was during this time there that we discovered a wonderful pizzeria, and I had a pizza that won my heart. Yes, you guessed it, Pizza with mortadella, burrata, and pistachios.
Today I am sharing all the memories from this region and that amazing pizza. Come let's make some pizza together!
Why would you want to make this pizza?
- First of all, it has mortadella, and who doesn't like mortadella?
- Secondly, all I have to say is burrata. It is the most amazing cheese I have ever tasted. Fresh mozzarella wrapped around a creamy soft buttery cheese. This is cheesy luxury at its best.
- Thirdly, all this goodness is in a pizza. I don't know about you, but I love pizza, don't you?
The key to this Pizza with mortadella, burrata, and pistachios is the crust.
I have to say Nicoletta makes some pretty incredible pizza dough. I love the flavor and the crispness of the dough after it has baked in a nice hot oven. For Nicoletta's amazing pizza dough check out this link.
Note: This recipe will make 3 pizza doughs, you can freeze whatever one you don't use. To reproof it, place it in a bowl and cover with a clean dish towel, and place it in the oven with just the oven light on. Let it proof for 3 hours.
These are the ingredients for this pizza!
Our motto is always use really good quality ingredients. It makes a world of a difference. Sometimes you need to splurge and this is one of those times. Let's take a look at what we need:
- pizza dough
- fresh mozzarella
- yellow date tomatoes
- some sea salt
Things needed from the kitchen:
- large bowl
- cutting board
- pizza pan
It is time to put this Pizza with mortadella, burrata, and pistachios together
I love making pizza and so excited about sharing this one with you. Here is how we rock it:
- Firstly we have to stretch the dough. I oil a round pizza pan, start stretching the dough into a small circle, then place in on the pan and slowly press and shape it starting from the middle and working out to the border.
- Secondly we sliver the mozzarella and place it on the freshly stretched dough.
These yellow date tomatoes are the flavor bomb on the base of this pizza!
- Take the yellow date tomatoes, halve them and place them on the dough on top of themozzarella. I placed them cut side up.
- Always have your oven pre-heated, and that is where this pizza is going but not until I drizzle some olive oil on top and a little fine sea salt.
It is all about the mortadella
What makes this pizza is the mortadella, however it has some a pretty amazing support cast.
- Once your pizza has some golden edges, melted mozzarella, and a nice crisp bottom, time to take it out of the oven.
- Take your mortadella and feather it onto the pizza. Next tear the burrata up and place it evenly onto the pizza.
- For a finishing touch, crushed pistachio, very yummy.
Fresh meets roasted
The beautiful thing about this pizza is that you have the base crispy golden, those sweet roasted tomatoes, and the fresh melted mozzarella. Furthermore, on top of that is the fresh mortadella, burrata, and pistachio. This combination is absolutely incredible. One you will not forget.
Look at the burrata and how it just melts slightly giving way to a lovely creaminess. This pairs so well with the warmed mortadella. The two are a flavor texture explosion.
Time for a bite!
I love how the yellow date tomatoes add such a succulent sweetness to the mix all nestled in the melted mozzarella and and wonderful crust. It is like your tastebuds are re-awakened and you mouth is filled with that freshness.
Talk about contrasting textures, let's talk about the pistachio. What a lovely crunch to have in the midst of all that Italian luxury. I am just in love with this Pizza with mortadella, burrata, and pistachios, and can't rant and rave enough about it.
Make your pizza night shine with this Pizza with mortadella, burrata, and pistachios!
I really enjoy cooking with all of you. There is nothing like being in the kitchen with people who appreciate great food. Thank you for joining me today! I am sure this Pizza with mortadella, burrata, and pistachios is going to be a hit for your pizza night, it sure has won a place in our hearts!
Pizza with mortadella, burrata, and pistachios
Pizza with mortadella, burrata, and pistachios, the pizza of all pizzas hosting some pretty amazing Italian favorite ingredients. A beautiful thin crisp crust meets melted mozzarella, topped with fresh mortadella and yellow date tomatoes, strands of burrata, and crushed pistachio. The end result, simply exquisite.
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: serves 2 people 1x
- 1 pizza dough (about 270 g), for our homemade here
- 140 g fresh mozzarella, slivered
- 8 yellow date tomatoes, halved
- 4 thin slices of mortadella
- 1 burratina
- 1 tablespoon pistachios, crushed
- a pinch of salt
Stretching the dough:
- Take a 12 inch pizza pan and oil it. Take the dough and start to stretch it in your hand pulling it from the edges keeping it in a circular shape.
- Rub some olive oil on your fingers and start to work the dough to the outer edges of the pan. Always work from the center out. Make sure there are no holes or tears. If you get some just overlap the dough and press.
- Pre-heat oven to 425° F.
- Take the slivered mozzarella and sprinkle it evenly onto the stretched dough.
- Place the halved tomatoes into the dough and mozzarella. Drizzle with a touch of olive oil, and sprinkle with some fine sea salt.
- Place pizza in middle rack of oven and bake for 10-15 minutes or until bottom, and edges are golden, and also mozzarella is melted.
- Take out of oven.
- Take the mortadella and fan it onto the pizza. Top that with some torn burrata, and finish with the crushed granules of pistachio.
- That is it. Just slice up the pizza and serve!
You can also do this on the barbecue on a pizza stone. I start the pizza in the pan first, then take it off and lay it directly on the stone. This gives you a wonderful crust. You want to get the barbecue temperature to 500° F.
This also can be done in the oven on a pizza stone. Just remember to put the stone in when you start to pre-heat the oven. It takes a bit longer to pre-heat as the stone absorbs quite a bit of the heat.
If you want you can use store bought pizza dough.
If you can find stracciatella, that is that creamy cheese inside the burrata, you can use that.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Pizza
- Method: baked
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: pizza, Italian food, mortadella, burrata, pistachio, mozzarella, yellow date tomatoes, oven baked, pizza stone,
When I am not cooking, I enjoy playing musical instruments, singing, writing. I have learned over the years to live in gratitude and enjoy the moment.
this pizza turned out so delicious, giving all the amazing flavors. Loved the recipe totally.
Amy Liu Dong says
This pizza looks so good and tasty. I am so excited to make this at home!
I have never tried pistachios on a pizza, but what a great idea! Sounds delicious! Thanks for the share!