Pizza Radicchio, Fontina, and Walnuts, a seasonal alternative to the classic red pizza with tomato sauce, played on the pleasantly bitter tone of the radicchio, the richness of the mozzarella and fontina, the sweet crunch of the walnuts. A luxurious Pizza Night on a winter day.
- 1 pizza dough, homemade or store-bought (our recipe is here, makes 3)
- 1/2 radicchio (about 100 g), chopped
- fontina (about 50 g) grated
- 1 small mozzarella
- a handful of walnuts
- e.v.o. oil, salt, and pepper to dress the radicchio
- Wash the radicchio leaves, pat them dry, and chop them, more or less fine, according to your taste. Put in a bowl and dress with e.v.o. oil, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- Cut the mozzarella into cubes.
- Stretch out the pizza dough on a round baking pan, previously greased.
- Add the radicchio, spreading it evenly all over the pizza. Add the cubed mozzarella, then grate the fontina all over the top. Sprinkle the chopped walnuts on top of it all.
- Finish with a drizzle of e.v.o. oil.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 430° F (220° C ) for 15-20 minutes or until the edges are nice and golden and the top cheese melted and bubbly. We always check the bottom, too, to see if it's golden.
- When cooked, remove your pizza from the oven, slice it, and serve immediately.
The measurements are approximate. Use more or less radicchio, more or less mozzarella, as you most like. I grated the Fontina directly on top, so I don't know exactly the quantity I added. I tried to fill the top evenly and stopped when I thought it was enough. Listen to your intuition, trust your eyes, noses and taste buds. They know a lot.
Try the pizza with different types of cheese to add to the mozzarella, but choose ones with a bolder flavor to counterpart the bitterness of the radicchio.
I never use a rolling a rolling pin to stretch the dough, only my hands. I drizzle some olive oil at the bottom of the pizza pan, spread it with my fingers, then grab the pizza dough ball and start stretching it in the pan with my slightly oily fingers.
- Category: Pizza, Vegetarian
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: pizza, radicchio, walnuts, fontina, mozzarella, winter