Pizza Pesto, Zucchini & Flowers, introduces a wonderful vegetable blossom to the mix on a deliciously baked pizza. Sweet zucchini and zucchini flowers meet a bold and incredible arugula pesto on a crispy Italian thin crust!
- 1 pizza dough, homemade or store-bought (here is our recipe, makes 3 pizzas)
- 2 small green zucchini cut into thin rounds
- 1 small yellow zucchini cut into thin rounds
- 6 zucchini blossoms
- Pinch of fine sea salt
- Crackling of black pepper
- 2 Tbsp e.v.o. oil
- pinch of dried oregano
- a handful of fresh basil leaves
- 2 Tbsp pesto (homemade or store-bought, we used our arugula pistachio pesto)
- 1/2 cup grated Italian Asiago cheese
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat feta cheese
- Pinch of lemon zest fleur de sel
- Pre-heat oven to 430 degrees F.
- Toss the zucchini rounds in a bowl with some of the olive oil, sea salt, pepper and dried oregano.
- Drizzle a little olive oil onto a 14 inch pizza oven pan. Place dough onto the well-oiled pizza pan. Use your hands from the center and stretch the dough gently to the edges, leaving a nice bordered edge.
- Spoon the arugula pesto onto the pizza and spread it all around leaving a 1-2 cm rim at the outer edge.
- Sprinkle some of the grated Asiago all over the pesto.
- Place the seasoned zucchini rounds onto the pesto, then the flowers and basil leaves.
- Top with some freshly cracked black pepper, crumbled feta cheese, and lastly a drizzle of e.v.o. oil, finally a sprinkle of lemon zest fleur de sel.
- Into the middle rack of the oven it goes for 15 minutes or until nice and golden at the bottom
- Turn oven to low grill and cook for an additional 1 minute.
- Take out of the oven and out of the pan onto a cutting board. Cut into slices and serve.
- Make sure to open the zucchini flowers, take out the pistil, wash and let dry before using.
- If cooking pizza on a stone, use a pizza paddle with a substantial amount of coarse semolina so the pizza is able to slide from the paddle to the stone easily. Also work quickly when assembling the pizza so it does not settle too much on the semolina causing it to stick to the paddle.
- If you want to do it right on the BBQ place the pizza dough right on the grill. With the heat on low cook one side, then take it off the grill and place toppings on the uncooked side and place back on the grill checking frequently to make sure bottom is not burning.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 16 minutes
- Category: Pizza
- Method: baked
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: Pizza, zucchini, zucchini blossoms, feta cheese, e.v.o. oil, fresh cracked pepper, fresh basil, dried oregano, arugula peasto,