Petite Peach Ginger Streusel Pies. The sweet peaches and zesty ginger are a match made in heaven for these lovely and delicious mini pies. The macadamia streusel marries perfectly with the overall flavors and brings a delightful crunchy texture. Fresh or frozen peaches can be used.
Song of the day: Follow the Sun - Xavier Rudd
Just when Summer was merging into Fall, and all the summer fruit shared their spot with the first Autumn produce, I bought some beautiful peaches and made these delightful mini pies. The peaches blend their sweet flavor with ginger, cinnamon, and lemon juice. The topping is a macadamia nut streusel that adds a lovely crunch and nuttiness. Truly, a wonderful dessert from the crust to the top!
The joy of mini pies
Do you love petite pies as much as I do? I love all individual desserts like these. They are cute, joyful, fun to make and to eat. It is also easier to roll individual mini pies than a large pie, and adding a streusel top takes all the stress out of making an intricate lattice design. Did I mention that they are absolutely delicious?
What you will need
To make these petite pies I used Pampered Chef mini pie pan set. It makes six petite pies at a time. You could also use a regular muffin pan but the pies will be smaller and you will make more.
As for the pie dough, I used my trustworthy pie dough recipe that makes for two dough balls and one I put in the freezer for later use. Actually, this dough was the frozen one, and after letting it thaw overnight in the fridge, it worked perfectly and was light and flaky after it was baked.
For the streusel
- spelt flour (or any other flour you like)
- cane or coconut sugar
- macadamia nuts, finely chopped
- ground cinnamon
- ground ginger
- unsalted butter, cold, cubed
For the filling:
- peaches, I used 4 fresh peaches. You could also use frozen, make sure to thaw them for at least 1 hour before making the filling
- cane or coconut sugar
- spelt flour (or any other flour)
- fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Divide the filling equally among the mini pie cups. Add about 1 tablespoon of streusel over the top of each mini pie.
- Place the mini pie pan in the preheated oven and bake for about 20-25 minutes, or until the filling is bubbling and the pies are golden.
- I know that making pie dough from scratch may look daunting for some of you. In that case, you can certainly use a store-bought pie dough or go for an all-butter sheet of puff pastry. There is more than the crust in these petite pies, and that is the delectable filling and topping.
- A fan of eating only what's in season? Try swapping peaches with pears or apples.
- Not a fan of macadamia nuts? Change it with pecans, walnuts, or hazelnuts. Or omit the nuts altogether.
The taste test
The sweet peaches and zesty ginger are a perfect match for these lovely Petite Ginger Streusel Pies. Add to that some cinnamon and a lovely macadamia streusel topping and these mini pies are destined to be your new favorite. The crust is flaky and light, the peach filling is plump and juicy, the topping is a delightful mix of nuttiness and sweetness. Altogether, a fantastic ensemble that creates a symphony in your mouth.
All in all, they are delicious either warm or at room temperature. They go well topped with gelato, or ice cream, however, we have also had them plain, and they are still a winner dessert!