Peruvian Avocado & Cream Cheese Roll on Toast, is freshness and flavor all rolled into one. It is our contribution to the monthly challenge “Around the World in 12 Plates”, taking us to Peru.
Song of the day: “Everything is Everything” by Lauren Hill.
Peruvian Avocado & Cream Cheese Roll on Toast, is a combination of caramelized hot peppers, bright and creamy cream cheese and beautiful rich avocado. Spread this on some toast and you have a delightful Peruvian take on avocado toast!
Peruvian Avocado & Cream Cheese Roll on Toast, a great inspiration!
When I think of Peru my thoughts are of the ancient Incas and their colorful clothing and mysterious traditions. Machu Picchu and its breathtaking architecture. Lake Titicaca and its link to Incan mythology. The animals who have adapted to the high altitude which has very low levels of oxygen. Most of all the people with their light smiles that are so infectious and make you feel welcomed. In total, one way I can sum up my feeling on Peru is spiritual mysteriousness.
We were quite delighted to hear that Peru was the next destination of “Around the World in 12 Plates”. It was hard for us to decide on what recipe to do. I wanted to keep it fresh and Nicoletta found a wonderful and interesting recipe using avocado. I don’t know if you know this but Peru has a large production of avocado and in 2016 had bumper crops. The U.S. even had a hot dog that was sold at baseball games topped with mounds of creamy avocado. This dish has bright compelling flavors that for me epitomizes what I feel spiritually from this culture.
Today’s recipe is Peruvian Avocado & Cream Cheese Roll on Toast. There is this trend right now with avocado toast. It is taking the world by storm. So simple yet so delicious. Well, it may have to step aside because Nicoletta has found a recipe that takes the simple and brings it to new levels of flavor and beauty.
Peruvian avocado is all over this recipe, nestled nicely in the center of this roll next to some caramelized hot peppers, and again makes it appearance on top so colorful against the whiteness of the cream cheese. This Peruvian avocado recipe is so simple. 4 ingredients and about 15 minutes, and this roll is ready to set in the fridge for 3 hours. I know that’s a long time, but a good time to practice patience, and non- attachment.
I love the way this roll looks, similar to a Maki roll. The color of the peppers and avocado in the center. The cream cheese and those speckles of chive running through, and the avocado with its rich silkiness and soothing color inviting us in for a taste!
The flavors are wonderful, it’s funny it makes me feel so childlike inside and I feel a smile coming on. The avocado with that so luxurious and rich buttery flavor marries so well with the velvetiness of the cream cheese which has found enlightenment with the addition of the fresh chives. The caramelized peppers so deep and mysterious in color are like candy, and surprise as we go in thinking there is going to be some heat but the process of cooking the pepper has taken the heat down a bit, with the toast adding that nice change in texture which has our tongue and mouth feeling delightful. It makes this roll shine with balance and wholeness. I am so happy that Nicoletta found this Peruvian Avocado & Cream Cheese Roll on toast recipe. Next time you are craving avocado toast, live a little, kick it up a few notches and try this bright and delightful recipe!
Song of the Day: “Everything is Everything” by Lauren Hill.
Recipe adapted from: Avocados from Peru.Print
- 250g organic firm cream cheese
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh chives
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 2 Rocoto peppers sliced into slivers
- 1/4 sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
Garnishing and interior:
- 1 ripe avocado cut into thin slices
- 4 slices toast
- In a bowl mix cream cheese, fresh chopped chives, salt and pepper.
- Blend well and set bowl in fridge.
- In a small sauce pan blend water and sugar.
- Bring to a low boil and continually stir.
- When the mixture starts to turn a light brown, toss in peppers and stir. Cook for about 4-5 minutes until mixture becomes thick.
- Pour in balsamic vinegar and stir well cooking till mixture thickens again about 3-4 minutes.
- Take off heat, spoon peppers into a dish and let cool.
- Place a sheet of plastic wrap about 14 inches x 16 inches onto a counter.
- Take cream cheese and spread into a rectangle, keeping a 1/4 inch thickness throughout.
- Place caramelized peppers all along the center of the rectangle.
- Take the sliced avocado and place it on top of the peppers.
- Starting from the long side, bring the cream cheese to the avocado and peppers releasing it from the plastic wrap.
- Go to the opposite long side and do the same bringing the cream cheese to the center.
- Continue to roll the cream cheese till the plastic wrap has surrounded the roll.
- Place on a plate or board and place in fridge for at least 3 hours.
- Take out of fridge. Unwrap the plastic.
- Cut into thick maki like pieces.
- Serve on toast.
Allow 3 hours for setting time in the fridge.
- Serving Size: serves 4
And don’t forget to check out the other contributors to the monthly challenge “Around the World in 12 Plates” – Peru:
Making our recipes? Take a pic and tag us on Instagram: #sugarlovespices. You’re going to be in our gallery!
Disclosure: All links in our post are NOT affiliate links. They are only about products or places we normally purchase and like.