Very easy to prepare, this recipe utilizes the incredible flavor punch of colorful bell peppers, the amazing sweetness of caramelized onions, the plumpness and richness of San Marzano tomatoes and hitting some high balanced taste notes of capers, black olives and anchovy, and finally garnished with fresh basil
Excerpted from Lidia’s Celebrate Like an Italian. Copyright © 2017 Tutti a Tavola, LLC. Published in Canada by Appetite by Random House, a division of Penguin Random House Canada Limited. Reproduced by arrangement with the Publisher. All rights reserved.
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 anchovy fillets, chopped
- 2 medium onions, sliced to 1/2 inch thick
- 6 small (or 4 large) bell peppers (red, yellow, and orange), cut into 1-inch strips
- 1 tsp kosher-salt
- 1/2 cup pitted oil-cured black olives
- 1/4 cup drained capers in brine
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- One 28-ounce can whole San Marzano tomatoes, crushed by hand
- Grilled or toasted country bread, for serving
- Heat the olive oil in a large straight-sided skillet over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the anchovies.
- Cook and stir until they dissolve into the oil, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the onions, and cook until they begin to wilt, about 4 minutes.
- Add the peppers, and season with the salt.
- Add the olives, capers, and red pepper flakes, and get everything sizzling; then add the tomatoes, slosh out the can with 1 cup water, and add that to the pan.
- Cover, and cook until the peppers begin to droop, about 10 minutes.
- Uncover, and cook until the peppers and onions are tender and sauce is thick and flavorful, about 10 to 15 minutes more.
- Serve with a basket of grilled or toasted bread on the side.