This Penne pasta dish incorporates vibrantly green zucchini and earthy mushrooms, combined with some garlic, olive oil and a bite of spicy chili flakes. Finished with the usual generous grating of Parmigiano and a sprinkle of parsley.
There has never been a food that is more versatile than pasta, you can create endless possibilities according to your taste, what’s left in your fridge, or trying your hand at traditional recipes. It is always a welcome dish in our home and with spring in the air, making light vegetarian pasta dishes that are healthy and tasteful, is easy and comforting.
How I made this Penne with Zucchini and Mushrooms:
My take on a fresh pasta dish incorporated vibrantly green zucchini and succulent earthy mushrooms, combined with the pungent nature of garlic and a bite of spicy chili flakes.
When cooking our pasta we usually follow the product cooking times. We like ours “al dente“. It is easier to digest when cooked this way and also better for you, and of course, it tastes so much better. We used penne lisce which are smooth in texture opposed to penne rigate which have a corrugated texture to them. Penne lisce is like a team player enhancing all the flavors of the dish.
We would like to hear your feedback on cooking pasta, do you like to finish the pasta in the pan or do you like when it is put in a serving dish with the sauce (whatever it is, white or red) on top?
There is nothing like that aged flavor of a good Parmigiano Reggiano, and the earthiness of the extra virgin olive oil and the finally a splash of color from the parsley, to finish the dish. We love Parmigiano so much that we usually put it on dishes that traditionally would not call for it. That’s not the case for this pasta because it compliments the flavors and tastes so good.
What do you think about using Parmigiano in dishes and have you used it out of context?
Paired with a beautiful Chardonnay White from Nardelli Wines.Print
- 200 g Penne lisce pasta
- 1 and 1/2 medium zucchini
- 2 large white button mushrooms
- 1 clove garlic minced
- pinch of peperoncino (dried chili peppers)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- a couple sprigs chopped parsley
- splash of white wine
- 1/2 cup Parmigiano Reggiano
- Wash and dice zucchini and mushrooms.
- Mince garlic.
- Bring a medium pot of salted water to boil. While waiting for water to boil sauté the garlic and peperoncini in olive oil.
- Add diced zucchini and mushrooms and saute.
- Add white wine and let dissipate.
- Place pasta in boiling water. While pasta is cooking finish off vegetables in pan.
- Drain pasta and toss in pan with vegetables adding a little of the cooking water as needed.
- Finish with grated Parmigiano and parsley and a drizzle of olive oil.
Disclosure: All links in our post are NOT affiliate links. Thery are only about products or places we normally purchase and like.