Soft, slightly chewy, buttery Peanut Butter Cookies. A delicious treat, even more delicious with one end dipped in dark chocolate and with a sprinkle of chopped hazelnuts.
For the Cookies:
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 cup salted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar, plus more for coating
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 organic free range egg
- 3/4 cup smooth peanut butter
For the Dark Chocolate Topping (optional on half of the cookies):
- 4 ounces dark chocolate chunks
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp coarsely chopped hazelnuts
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugars on medium speed. Beat for about 3 minutes until light and fluffy, stopping just to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add the vanilla extract and the egg and beat on medium speed until combined, about 2 minutes. Add the peanut butter and beat until just combined, again stopping the mixer to scrape down the sides of the bowl, ensuring that all of the wet ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- Add the dry ingredients all at once, beating on low speed until just combined.
- Remove the bowl from the mixer and finish mixing with a spatula. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- While the cookie dough chills, preheat the oven.
- Place a rack in the center and upper third of the oven and preheat oven to 350° F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Place about 2 Tbsp granulated sugar in a small bowl for coating the dough.
- Spoon cookie dough by the tablespoonful into the palm of your hand. Gently roll into a ball and coat in sugar.
- Place on the prepared baking sheet and use a fork to mark the cookies with a cross-hatch pattern. Place cookies on the sheet about 1-inch apart.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to rest on the baking sheet for 5 minutes. After that time, place the cookies on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Optional, on half of the cookies:
- Melt chocolate and coconut oil in a bain-marie (double boiler). Stir until completely smooth and combined. Place in a small and deep bowl for dipping. Place the chopped hazelnuts in a small bowl near your dipping area. Dip the cookies halfway into the melted chocolate. Place on a parchment lined tray. Sprinkle with chopped nuts. Place in the refrigerator to harden the chocolate.
They keep well in an airtight container for 4 days (if they last that long).