How was the beginning of this New Year, my friends? Ours was good, but we still feel a little stuffed from all the eating, so I decided I wanted to have a break, just a little one, from all the Holiday baking, the chocolates, glazes, nuts and spices. I felt the need to go back to a simple yet tasty sweet because I was feeling a little overwhelmed and overweight 🙂 .
As you might have noticed, I like the simple, unrefined charm, more than I like the striking, over processed beauty. In my baking that is evident, you won’t find here lots of layers, frostings, glazes, frills and paillettes. You’ll more likely find organic ingredients, a cut on sugars, a play on flours. Using gluten-free flours or ancient grains has become my new habit. The tastebuds will quickly get used to the different texture and flavor, while your body will thank you immensely.
These oat mini muffins are an ideal treat: they are flavored with canned peaches (but if they’re in season where you live, use fresh ones!), vanilla and white chocolate, a great combination of natural sweetness. The oat flour gives that rustic quality and coarse texture, and also a hearty sugariness and a nutty aroma. Oat flour can replace all-purpose flour in your baking, you just need to adjust the amount of baking powder (a little more) and the sugar (a little less). Oat flour is also very low in calories, though it contains high amounts of fiber, and this leads to a prolonged feeling of satiety (which is good!).
I decided to bake bite-sized muffins instead of regular size muffins. They look cute, that’s reason number one, plus they are a delicious one biter for those sweet cravings during the day. I just sprinkled some icing sugar on top, because they are already delightful and succulent with that peach chunk inside and lovingly sweet thanks to the mini white chocolate chips. They are a petite deliciousness: light and crumbly, juicy and just enough sweet.
They are great at breakfast, where you can indulge in a couple sweet treats without worrying about your waistline. They are also perfect in your kids’s lunch box, or as an afternoon snack with a glass of milk or a cup of tea.
Try them, you won’t be disappointed. We really enjoyed them a lot!
Song of the day: Lana Del Rey “Young and beautiful”.Print
- 2 cups oat flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup milk (I used rice milk)
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 3/4 cup chopped canned peaches
- 4 ounces white chocolate chips
- icing sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Line 2 12-cup mini muffin pans with paper muffin liners.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the egg and sugar, using an electric handheld mixer, then beat in the vanilla, milk, and cooled melted butter.
- Using a rubber spatula fold the wet ingredients into the dry until the mixture is smooth, but don’t overmix.
- Fold in the chopped peaches and white chocolate chips.
- Divide the batter among the muffin liners, filling them three-quarters full.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centres comes out clean.
- Let cool on a rack and dust with icing sugar.
More Muffin ideas?
Try these simple yet super delicious Strawberry Muffins:
Or if you want a corn muffin with a juicy heart, we have Strawberry Thumbprint Corn Muffins:
And for the chocolate lovers, Vegan Chocolate Pear Muffins: