- 1 cup sweet peas, shelled
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, whole, smashed
- 2 Tbsp evo oil
- salt & pepper
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup white wine
- Cook peas in a pot of boiling salted water until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Drain under cold water. Set aside.
- Prepare the vegetable broth in a medium/large pot and keep warm over low heat.
- Heat 2 tablespoons evo oil in a saucepan (I like to use a Dutch oven) over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until softened, about 3-4 minutes. Add barley and salt. Stir to coat with the onion/garlic mixture for 1-2 minutes, or until lightly toasted. Add wine and cook, stirring, until evaporated.
- Add 1 cup of broth and cook, stirring for about 5 minutes or until almost all absorbed.
- Continue cooking for about 20 minutes, adding 1/2 cup warm broth at a time, stirring, waiting to add more until the liquid is nearly absorbed after each addition.
- At about 15-minute cooking time add the peas, adjust with salt, stir, and continue to cook for about 5 minutes or until barley is tender but still al dente.
- Turn off heat, add 1 Tbsp butter and a handful of Parmigiano (optional). Stir and let rest for a couple of minutes before serving.
- Serve with some freshly cracked pepper on top.
Use olive oil instead of butter, and skip the Parmigiano to make this recipe a vegan dish.
Pearl barley cooks in about 30 minutes and stays al dente.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Main
- Method: Stove top
Keywords: peas, pearl barley, garlic, green onion, main, vegetable broth, seasonal, summer