Zucchini Parmigiana is a very tasty and well balanced main dish, thanks to the properties of the vegetables and the proteins of the cheese.
- 500 g zucchini, washed and sliced lengthwise
- 150 g tomato puréed
- 1 small clove garlic
- 2 basil leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- 100 g mozzarella, drained and cut in cubes
- 50 g ricotta
- 50 g parmigiano reggiano, grated
- extra virgin olive oil, for frying and for the tomato sauce
- Wash and thinly slice the zucchini lengthwise.
- Heat 2 Tbsp olive oil in a frying pan and fry the sliced zucchini in batches until golden and tender. Drain on paper towel. Repeat with the rest of the zucchini slices.
- Let the mozzarella drain in a colander for a few minutes, then cut into cubes.
- In the meantime, heat 1 Tbsp olive olive in a pan and sautée the garlic. Add the tomato purée, basil and adjust with salt and pepper. Cook the tomato sauce for about 10-15 minutes.
- Spread 1 ladle of tomato sauce at the bottom of a rectangular baking dish. Add a layer of zucchini slices, mozzarella, grated parmigiano and ricotta flakes. Repeat layers: tomato sauce, zucchini slices, mozzarella, parmigiano and ricotta.
- Finish with a layer of tomato, mozzarella and parmigiano.
- Bake in a 190°C oven for 20-25 minutes or until you see the melted mozzarella and the top is golden and crisp.
- Take out of oven and let rest for a few minutes just to let it set, before serving.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Serving Size: 2 servings