Orange and Chocolate Star Cookies, delicate, buttery, shortbread pastry flavored with orange and dark chocolate are the perfect cookies for the festive season. Dreamy and delicious they will be the “star” of the show of your holiday gatherings.
- 300 g all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 180 g unsalted butter. at room temperature
- 150 g light brown sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- the zest of 1 organic orange
- 1 Tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 large egg, organic free-range
- 60 g organic dark chocolate, melted
- In a large bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Over a bain-marie on low heat, melt the dark chocolate.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, or with a hand-held mixer, beat the butter and the sugar.
- Always beating, add the vanilla extract, the orange juice and zest, the egg, the sifted flour mix, until a dough forms.
- Using a scale, divide the dough into two parts, more or less the same weight. Put one of the dough back in the bowl of the stand mixer. Add the melted chocolate and mix to combine.
- Wrap both doughs in plastic wrap and set in the fridge to rest for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Line 4 baking sheets with parchment paper, or silicone mats.
- Take the light dough out of the fridge, leave the other in the fridge. On a floured work surface, and with a floured rolling pin, roll out the dough to a 5mm thickness.
- With the biggest star-shaped cookie cutter, cut out star cookies and place them on 2 baking sheets. Gather all the scraps of dough and re-roll, cutting out star cookies until finished.
- With the smaller star-shaped cookie cutter, cut out the inside of every star cookie that is on the baking sheets. Place them on the board.
- Take out the chocolate dough from the fridge. Roll it out to the same thickness as the other, cut out the bigger star-shaped cookies and place them on the other baking sheets.
- With the smaller star-shaped cookie cutter, cut out the inside of every chocolate star cookie. Place them inside the light star cookies.
- Place the small chocolate star inside the light big star until they’re all filled. You might have some leftover small stars, I baked them separately on a small baking sheet.
- Bake the star cookies in the preheated oven for about 10 minutes or until lightly golden on the edges. I baked two baking sheets at a time.
- Remove from the oven and let sit in the baking sheet for 2-3 minutes. Then remove from baking sheet and place on a rack to cool completely.
Store in an airtight container. I put them in a tin box with a lid. They will last for about a week. I didn’t freeze them (I usually do not freeze cookies) so I don’t know how that works.
The dough is easier to work when it’s cold.
The prep time includes the 1-hour resting time in the fridge.