- 5 cups all-purpose flour (or type 00)
- 4 Tbsp (heaping) Crisco shortening, cubed
- 2 Tbsp salt
- 4 Tbsp anise seeds
- 2 tsp (heaping) instant yeast
- 1 egg white (for glazing)
- lukewarm water as needed
- In a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix the flour, Crisco, salt, anise seeds and yeast until smooth.
- Add water till mixture forms a dough.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface and knead it for a couple minutes smooth and pliable.
- Cut dough and roll with hands into a 12" long cord and about a 1/4" in diameter
- Take 2 of those cords and braid. Then form a circle and pinch ends of dough together.
- Continue until you have used all the dough.
- Leave braids to rise for at least 1/2 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Beat the egg white and brush it on the braids.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes or until golden brown in color.
- Take out of oven and let cool.
- Category: Bread
- Cuisine: Italian