Mushroom Bread Soup, rustic, homey, total Italian comfort food. Hosting bold rich Porcini mushroom flavor, a deep flavorful broth, and that wonderful sopping soup wet sourdough. As a result, this dish screams utter deliciousness!
- 3/4 oz dried Porcini mushrooms
- 1 cup button top mushrooms, chopped
- 1 each yellow onion and purple onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Pinch of paprika
- 1 1/4 cups mixed mushrooms
- 3 1/2 cups spinach or any green you may have such as arugula or kale
- 10 oz stale sourdough bread
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- Pecorino or Parmigiano cheese, for serving (optional)
- Place dried porcini mushrooms with 5 cups boiling water. Cover with a plate on top and set aside.
- In a large wok or soup pot, drizzle in e.v.o. oil, enough to cover the bottom of the pan or pot. Toss in onions and garlic and cook till softened. Season with salt, pepper and paprika. Cook on medium to high heat for 5 minutes.
- Add in the butter and chili flakes and stir.
- Toss in dried oregano and stir once again making sure to distribute that oregano throughout.
- Cut up button top and other mushrooms in nice small edible pieces and toss into pan with onions. Saute' for another 5 minutes.
- At this point, add in fresh baby spinach, or whatever green you are using, and stir, followed by the rehydrated porcini and the water. Leave the last gritty bit of liquid in the bowl. Do not pt into the soup. Also add he vegetable stock at this point.
- Bring soup to a boil and let it bubble away for 15 minutes.
- Tear the bread into bite-size pieces and stir into the pan with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. As soon as the bread soaks up the liquid, it is ready to serve.
- Serve with a drizzle of olive oil and some grated Pecorino or Parmigiano (optional).
- Ready to serve.
- If you can't find the Porcini mushrooms use what you have or can get.
- You can use any bread just as long as it is rustic and crusty.
- Category: Soup, Vegetarian
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: soup, sourdough bread, baby spinach, onions, garlic, oregano, porcini mushrooms, button top mushrooms, e.v.o. oil, garlic, Italian