Mushroom Asiago & Thyme Bread Cups, the perfect appetizer for a mushroom lover that is easy to eat and packed with mushroom flavor, crisp toasty bread seasoned wonderfully with good organic ingredients, and of course some melted Asiago cheese to top it off.
- 3 large slices of white sandwich bread
- 2 Tbsp e.v.o. oil
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- pinch salt
- 500 g crimini mushrooms, cleaned, chopped
- 1/4 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic whole
- 1 tsp pepper
- pinch paprika
- salt to taste
- 2 Tbsp fresh thyme (1 Tbsp if using dried thyme)
- 1 tsp water
- 2 Tbsp e.v.o. oil
- 100 g mild Asiago cheese, grated
- fresh sprigs of thyme for garnishing
- Cut bread slices into even quarters.
- Place bread squares in a bowl, little at a time and drizzle with olive oil and dried oregano.
- Toss well being careful to not break bread.
- Set aside.
- Wash and clean mushrooms and let drain.
- Wash thyme and let dry.
- Cut mushrooms into thin slices.
- In a large saute pan drizzle in olive oil-
- Toss in onions and whole garlic, pressing garlic down a bit to release some flavor.
- Saute for 2 minutes or until onions are soft and translucent.
- Place cut mushrooms into saute pan and saute for about 2 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add in fresh thyme and water, and saute for 8 minutes.
- Take off heat and set aside.
- With a brush oil cup cake molds with olive oil, making sure to coat sides and bottom well-
- Take individual bread squares and press into molds forming a cup.
- Place some grated Asiago cheese into the bottom.
- take a heaping teaspoon of the mushroom mixture and place into bread cups.
- Top with a pinch of grated Asiago cheese, and a small sprig of fresh thyme.
- Place molds on a baking sheet.
- Pre- heat oven to 375°F-
- Place mushroom Asiago bread cups into oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Take out of oven, let cool for 1 minute.
- With a long fork carefully take bread cups out of mold.
- Plate and serve.