- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 Tbsp (2 ounces) cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 3 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tsp grated lemon zest (1 lemon)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 1/2 cup half and half (plus some for glazing)
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup mini white chocolate chips
- sprinkle of granulated sugar for the topping
- Preheat the oven to 425° F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add the cubed butter to the flour mixture, squeezing and pinching with your fingertips until the mixture resembles a coarse meal and there are no butter lumps bigger than a pea.
- Add the sugar, lemon zest and crystallized ginger and whisk to incorporate.
- Pour 1/2 cup half and hal into a small bowl and add the egg, beating with a fork to mix well.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the flour mixture, and stir gently with a spatula to just combine.
- At this point, add the mini white chocolate chips.
- Using your hands lightly squeeze and press the dough into a rough mass.
- Turn the dough out onto a wood board or countertop, and knead it until it just comes together (no more than 12 times. Yes, count up to 12, it actually works).
- Pat the dough into a rough circle about 1 inch thick.
- Cut the circle into 8 wedges.
- Place the wedges on the prepared baking sheet and brush gently the top with a thin coat of half anf half to glaze. Sprinkle with sugar and put in the oven.
- Bake for 10-14 minutes, or until pale golden.
- Serve warm, they are delicious!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 14 minutes