A tasty and fresh Mediterranean salad with mixed beans, peppers, corn, avocado, onion, tomatoes. Furthermore, simply dressed with a lemon mayo vinaigrette, hightening the flavors to no end. A perfect Summer salad.
Song of the day: 'Summer' by Calvin Harris.
Summer veggie lovin!
If someone were to ask me what is my favorite season, I would quickly reply Summer! Not only are the days longer and sunnier, temperatures are warm, and produce is growing like crazy, more so, our farmers markets are bursting with lots of earth goodies. This Mediterranean salad is inspired by this season, given its colors, freshness and flavors that put you in none other than summer lovin vibes!
A colorful array of characters in this Mediterranean Bean and Corn salad!
Just a can of mixed beans, which by the way is one of my favorites. The rest is a fresh explosion of flavours and colors:
- orange and red sweet mini peppers
- green onions
- cherry tomatoes,
- parsley, and basil.
Plus, a drizzle of our homemade dressing made of extra virgin olive oil, fresh squeezed lemon juice, and mayonnaise.
Prepping the veggies
I am an organized cook so having things cut and ready is key to me. The only thing I leave till last is the avocado, if you cut it too soon it oxidizes and turns brown. This is how I roll to achieve that.
- First I boil, cool, and cut all of that sweet corn into a bowl.
- While the corn boils, I finely dice the onions, green and purple, red and orange peppers.
- The cherry tomatoes I cut into quarters and toss with the fresh basil and parsley that I have chopped.
- Before I get to the avocado, I whisk the dressing blending the olive oil, lemon juice, and mayo.
- Yes, you guessed it, time to do the avocado. I cut it in half and discard the pit. I scoop out the halves and dice both up.
Time to assemble the Mediterranean Bean and Corn Salad!
I like to mix the salad in stages. Seems kind of silly, however there is a method to my madness. By doing it in stages it blends the colors and veggies equally and the end result, a plethora of color for the eye to feast on! Here's how I do it!
- I am going to place the beans into the salad bowl. Today a lovely oblongue white modern classic. To that, I sprinkle in the chopped peppers, and onions. With a spoon I toss this mixture very well.
- Next goes in the corn and avocado, yes you guessed it, another good tossing. You guys are too smart!
There's a whole lotta tossing going on!
- The last veggie to go in is the tomatoes, parsley, and basil. Whoever is screaming "toss it!", I fooled you this time, I am going to drizzle in the dressing and now, yes, toss it well so all those lovely jewels are host to a slathering of that dressing!
- Finishing touches include, toasted pine nuts, some fresh basil and parsley leaves, and this baby is complete! Yessssssssss!
Additions and substitutions
The salad is pretty versatile, for additions you could add chopped fennel or celery, maybe some olives. For substitutions go for some of your favorites, instead of peppers use carrots and purple cabbage. Instead of pine nuts, try walnuts, and maybe raisins for some sweetness. Really, the world of this salad is your oyster!
Color backed by flavor and texture!
This Mediterranean Bean and Corn Salad salad is not just another pretty face, it packes freshness, sweetness, acidity, and a plethora of flavors from the nutty beans, to the sweet corn and peppers. Love the aroma and profile of the green and purple onion, along with those toasted pine nuts, pure heaven to my taste buds. The herbs just balance it right out. Moreover, the the vinaigrette is light, sweet and sour at a perfect level. The right compliment to a fresh mixed salad.
Bring some summer lovin to your outdoor table with this, Mediterranean Bean and Corn Salad!
More bean recipes for you to try:
- Fagioli in Umido, Pan-steamed Beans
- Red Kidney Bean Summer Salad with Feta
- One Pot Curried Squash and Bean Stew
- Baba Ganoush with Cannellini beans, Pistachios and Paprika
- Spicy Italian Rapini and Cannellini Beans
- 1 can mixed beans
- 1 corn
- 2 mini sweet red peppers
- 1 mini sweet orange pepper
- 1 avocado
- 6 cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1 stalk green onion
- 1 Tbsp minced purple onion
- 1 Tbsp chopped parsley
- 2 large basil leaves, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- a handful of pine nuts, toasted
- 2 Tbsp evo oil
- 1 Tbsp olive oil mayonnaise
- ½ lemon, squeezed
- Wash mixed beans with cold water and toss in bowl.
- Place cob of corn in a pot of boiling water cook 15 minutes. Cool and shuck the corn, and break it up in bowl.
- Finely dice up orange and red peppers, and onions, and place in a bowl.
- Cube avocado and throw in the bowl with the corn.
- Quarter the tomatoes and place in a bowl with chopped basil and parsley.
- In a small bowl wisk evo oil, mayo, lemon.
- Throw beans into a medium salad bowl. Add peppers and onions and give it a good toss.
- Next, add avocado and corn and again, a good toss.
- Lastly, place in tomatoes, basil and parsley.
- Pour dressing over salad, season with salt and pepper, and add toasted pine nuts. Mix well.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and basil. Ready to serve.
If you want, you can grill the corn for an added smoky flavor.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Side dish, Vegan
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: salad, mediterranean, beans, avocado, summer, easy, fresh, corn, vegan, tomatoes
When I am not cooking, I enjoy playing musical instruments, singing, writing. I have learned over the years to live in gratitude and enjoy the moment.