Mediterranean flavors envelope lite, crumbly, buttery biscuits. A great breakfast pick me up, or a mid-day snack, either way, delicious and vibrant in texture and flavor.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold vegetable shortening or butter
- 1 1/2 table spoons scallions chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh basil chopped
- 1/2 cup goat feta crumbled
- 1/4 cup aged asiago shredded
- 3 tablespoons sun dried tomatoes
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cups buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon oil from sun dried tomatoes
- olive oil for topping
- Coarse sea salt
- Sift flour salt, sugar, and baking powder into a bowl.
- Add in shaved cold butter or shortening and blend till it looks like little pebbles.
- Add in scallions, basil, sun dried tomato and blend.
- Crumble in feta cheese.
- Sprinkle in grated asiago and mix.
- Blend egg, buttermilk and sun dried tomato oil in a separate bowl.
- Pour wet mixture into dry mixture and with a wood spoon mix gently until flour is somewhat incorporated.
- Dust a wood working surface with some flour and pour biscuits mixture onto surface.
- With hands gently knead the dough till the flour is worked in.
- Pre-heat oven to 400° F.
- Press dough gently to a thickness of one inch.
- With a 3 inch cookie cutter, cut out biscuits and place on a parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Brush top of biscuits with olive oil and sprinkle with coarse sea salt.
- Place biscuits in oven and bake for 20 minutes or until they turn a nice golden brown color.
- Take out of oven and place biscuits on a cooling rack.
- Ready to serve.