- 1 cup hazelnuts, toasted
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 12 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch salt
- Preheat the oven to 350° F (180° C). Spread the hazelnuts on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until golden, about 8 minutes, rotating the sheet 180 degrees halfway through the baking time.
- While the hazelnuts are still warm, rub them in a kitchen towel to remove the skin. Let cool completely.
- In a blender, or food processor, combine the hazelnuts (cold), milk, cream, sugar, mascarpone, vanilla, and salt and blend until somewhat smooth. The mixture will still be crunchy.
- Pour into a bowl, cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Pour the cold cream mixture into an ice cream maker and churn only for few minutes, or as soon as it looks like softly whipped cream. Do not overwhip, mascarpone can become grainy if overwhipped.
- Serve the gelato right away, or spoon it into a freezer-safe container, place parchment or waxed paper directly on the surface, cover tightly, and freeze for up to 3 days.
It is best eaten the day it's made to appreciate the rich creaminess at its best. The longer it sits in the freezer the more icy and crystallized it becomes.
- Serving Size: 6-8 servings