- 2 cups all purpose unbleached flour
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 and 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup melted butter unsalted
- 2 large organic free range eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp organic brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- dash of salt
- whipping cream (optional)
- a handful fresh blueberries
- organic maple syrup
- Preheat waffle iron.
- In a sifter add flour, salt, baking powder, sugar.
- Sift dry ingredients into a large bowl, then add lemon zest.
- Melt butter and let cool a bit.
- In another bowl add eggs, buttermilk, vanilla, lemon juice, melted butter and blend.
- Pour the wet ingredients a little at a time into the dry until mixed well. Add in blueberries
- Open waffle iron, place batter into the iron just to cover bottom plate. and gently mix.
- Close iron, turn over and cook for 2 minutes (I usually set the iron to about a 5 to heat up then turn it to a 3 and 1/2 – 4 using the first waffle to gauge cooking time and heat).
- Take waffle out of iron.
- Place the waffle on a baking sheet in a 100° F oven to keep warm while cooking the rest of the batter.
- Serve waffles with a drizzle of organic maple syrup, a few blueberries and a dollop of whipping cream (optional).