Laotian Sweet and Sour Tofu, This dish screams color, texture and humungous flavor! The play on sweet and savory plays so well with the stir fried vegetables and crisp tofu creating a delightful experience for your taste buds!
- 350 g (1 package) medium-firm tofu
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1/8 cup vegetable oil
- salt for seasoning
- 2 tbsp peanut oil
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 garlic clove, minced
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 carrot, cut into julienne strips
- 1 stick celery, cut into julienne strips
- 1 each small red/ yellow (bell) peppers, cored, seeded, and sliced into julienne strips
- 125 g (8 oz) mangetout (snow peas), trimmed and halved
- 200 g (4 oz) broccolini, trimmed and divided into florets
- 125 g (4 oz) thin green beans, halved
Sweet and sour sauce:
- 1 tbsp each of sweet soy sauce, tamarind sauce, hoisin, tomato ketchup, light soy sauce, sweet chili sauce, sugar, and white rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Chinese five-spice
- a pinch of white pepper
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- Drain tofu and pat dry with some paper towel, cut into bite-size pieces and toss gently with the soy sauce. Let sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Drain the excess soy sauce and place tofu on a large plate with the cornstarch spread out. Coat the tofu pieces well.
- In a wok heat up vegetable oil to medium-high heat. Do not let it smoke. Shake off the excess cornstarch from the tofu and place them in the wok.
- Fry till nice and golden on all sides then take out and place on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Continue until all the tofu is done.
- Heat up peanut and sesame oil in a wok.
- Toss in green beans, and broccolini, stir fry for about 2 minutes then add in onion peppers, carrots, celery. Continue stir-frying for about 5 minutes.
- Time to toss back in crispy tofu and toss in the wok so it is well distributed.
The sweet and sour sauce:
- Combine all the ingredients for the sweet and sour sauce in a bowl, excluding the cornstarch and water. Whisk until blended well.
- Back to the wok we go, pour in a bit of the sauce at a time until you see the desired sauciness you want. Then mix the cornstarch with the water.
- Create a void in the center of the wok. Pour half the cornstarch mixture in and stir veggies and tofu back to the center. Continue stirring until the mixture thickens. If it is still too runny, add in more of the cornstarch mixture, however, just a bit at a time.
- Take wok off heat and garnish with toasted sesame seeds.
- Plate and serve.
If you don't have all these types of veggies just use what you have.
Prep all your veggies ahead of time this will make it easier to prepare later.
You can use tomato paste instead of ketchup.
- Category: Main, Vegetarian
- Method: Stove top
- Cuisine: Laotian cuisine
Keywords: stir fry, crispy tofu, sweet peapods, sweet and sour sauce, long green beans, red peppers, garlic, carrots, celery