Lamb Apricot Tagine, is a perfect dish any time of year. Its exotic aromas along with the depth and complexity of flavor will definitely raise an eyebrow at the lunch or dinner table!
- 1 kg of fresh lamb leg shanks
- 4–6 dried cloves
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 Tbsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp curry powder (green)
- 1 Tbsp each of onion powder, garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground sea salt
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- a couple pats of butter
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 garlic scape chopped finely
- 2 large fresh green onion chopped
- 1 can good quality stewed tomatoes
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 4–6 madjoule dates halved
- 4–6 dried apricots sliced
- handful of golden raisins
- handful of almonds slivered
- 2 Tbsp fresh coriander leaves chopped
- Throw all the spices and seasoning into a bowl and blend well with a fork.
Lamb and tofu:
- Place lamb leg shanks into a bowl and dust with some of the spice blend. Rub spices into the lamb until well coated.
- Reserve some of the spice for the sauce.
- Heat up some sesame oil and olive oil in a saute pan. Place in spiced lamb and sear on all sides about 1-2 minutes a side.
- When the lamb and tofu are seared, take out of pan and place on a dish.
- Use a bit of the vegetable stock to de-glaze the pan and reserve for sauce.
- In a deep cast pot heat up some sesame oil and olive oil. Toss in onions, garlic, and garlic scapes. Saute for 3-4 minutes then add the reserved spices. Add in a couple pats of butter and stir cook for another minute or so.
- Toss in dates, apricots, raisins. Pour in stewed tomatoes, the juices from the de-glazed pan, and vegetable stock. Let simmer for about 5 minutes and toss and stir in almonds, then transfer to the tajine and place in the oven for 2-3 hours at around 250-280 degrees F.
- Take out of oven and serve right out of the tajine with some steamed rice.
- Garnish with some fresh chopped parsley and coriander leaves.
- If you want to make the vegetarian version, just substitute 500 grams of firm tofu cubed instead of the lamb.
- You can also serve the tajine with some flat bread like pita, or something else.
- If you can’t find the dried apricots, or dates, use what you have or can find like dried figs or plums.