- 8 fingerling potatoes
- 6 red, yellow, orange peppers
- 1/4 white Spanish onions
- 4 cloves garlic
- 5 medium red table potatoes
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley chopped
- 1 fresh green onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives chopped
- 4 Italian sausages
- 1/4 cup stewed Roma tomatoes pureed
- 2 basil leaves chopped
- 1/2 cup grated parmigiano regiano
- 1/2 cup grated mozarella (bocconcini)
- 3 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil.
- Salt and Pepper
- Take fingerling potatoes, wash and place in pot with water, bring to boil, cook for 10 minutes, then drain and cut into long slices approximately 3 mm thick.
- While fingerling potatoes are cooking wash red table potatoes and place into a pot of water bring to boil and cook for 20-30 minutes or until they are fork tender, drain and mash then set aside.
- Take red, yellow,and orange peppers, wash and julienne.
- Take onion and julienne.
- Put about 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil into a sauté pan and toss in peppers and onions 1 clove of garlic whole, salt and pepper to taste, cook till just softened a bit and when onions are translucent, take out garlic clove, set aside pepper and onions.
- Take Italian sausages and remove meat out of casements.
- In another large saute pan place 1 1/2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, toss in sausage meat and cook for about 15 minutes and fork the ground pork till nice and crumbly.
- Add in Roma tomato puree and basil and cook for another 10 minutes till sauce thickens and coats meat well. Set aside.
- Pour 1/2 tablespoons olive oil into a 10 inch cast iron skillet and spread evenly through out using your fingers to coat the sides.
- Place fingerling potato slices into the bottom of the pan covering the bottom but having a few spaces.
- Heat oven to 400° F and place skillet in oven, cook potatoes til crispy on the bottom about 15 minutes.
- Take 2 cloves of garlic with husk on, place in aluminum tin foil sprinkle with some olive oil and wrap it up and place in oven with potatoes.
- Take garlic out of husk and mash with a fork then mix in with mashed potatoes.
- Add milk, sour cream, butter to mash and mix well.
- Toss in green onion, chives and parsley.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste, mix well again.
- Place a bit of the mashed potatoes in the spaces in between the fingerling potatoes in skillet.
- Dust lightly with a little of the grated parmigiano and mozarella not using it all because you need some in between each layer and on top.
- Place sausage and tomato mixture on top of the fingerling potatoes, spread evenly to cover bottom and again dust with both cheeses.
- Place evenly the sautéed peppers and onions and follow suit with the parmigiano and mozzarella.
- Top with the remaining potato mash and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Heat oven to 400° F and place skillet in middle rack of oven, cook for about 30 minutes or until top turns a nice crispy golden brown.
- Take skillet out of the oven being careful with the cast iron pan, it stays very hot for a long time so do not grab handle without having an oven mitten.
- Cut and serve.
Be careful not to submerge cast iron pan in cold water, this would cause it to crack and fall apart.
Also cast iron pans stay very hot for long periods of time be careful handling it.