Italian Stuffed Zucchini in Tomato Sauce (Zucchine Ripiene alla Romana). Beautiful lamb stuffed zucchini seared and slowly simmered in a rich tomato sauce. If you love Italian food this is a dish for you to try. The end result, some very happy taste buds!
The main vegetable:
- 4 medium zucchini
- 450 g ground organic lamb
- 1/4 cup of minced onion
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/2 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 1 free range egg
- 1/2 cup of broken up one day old rustic bread
- 1/8 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp each garlic powder, onion powder, paprika
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- 2 Tbsp freshly chopped parsley
- Fine sea salt, fresh cracked pepper
- 1 large can crushed stewed San Marzano tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Wash and pat dry the zucchini.
- Hold the zucchini firmly and insert the coring tool into the center of the zucchini. Rotate back and forth slowly and you are more than half way through. Take out the coring tool and insert into the opposite end and do the same. Insert and rotate back and forth until you feel the core loosen.
- Pull out the core and do the same for the other 3 zucchini.
- In a small bowl toss in broken up day old bread. Pour in milk and let soak.
- In another bowl mix up ground lamb, bread crumbs, parsley, egg, grated cheese, milk soaked bread, onion and garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper. mix well with hands until all the ingredients are well blended
- Hold the zucchini and with your hands squish the stuffing into the hole until it starts to come out the other end. Keep stuffing until center cavity is full. squeeze both ends to firm stuffing on the end and set aside. Do the same until all zucchini are stuffed.
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Drizzle oil into a oven safe large saute pan. Heat up to a medium to high heat and place zucchini in. Sear the surface until the are seared on all sides. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour in crushed tomatoes and coat the zucchini. taste and season some more if necessary .
- Place pan in oven and bake for 20 minutes. Insert a thermometer into the center of the zucchini and stuffing, it should read 160.
- Take out of oven and let rest 5 minutes.
- Cut into 1/2 inch rounds and serve with a few spoonfuls of the sauce.
- Sprinkle some grated parmigiano and it is ready to serve.
- If you don’t like lamb you could use and ground meat you like ie. chicken, veal, beef, pork. You could even do a vegetarian version and cut up the core and blend it with the other ingredients plus some chopped up mushroom and maybe goat cheese.
- You may not have a corer so what you can do is cut the zucchini in half. With a spoon scoop out the center and place the stuffing in there.