How to make Puff Pastry Apple Donuts. Delightful apple rings wrapped in puff pastry and with a cinnamon sugar crunch. Quite easy to make following some tips, they can be part of a dessert table or a lovely snack for kids and grown-ups.
Puff Pastry Apple Donuts
We rarely jump on a viral trend. As it happens, I had been seeing these apple treats from some time, and finally decided to give them a try. They are a little trickier to make than they seem. However, truly delightful.
Very few ingredients, which is always a bonus. You will need:
- 1 rectangular sheet of puff pastry. We like to buy all-butter puff pastry. Let it thaw before using.
- 2 apples. Any kind would work. Maybe better if firm and slightly tart. We did not peel them, but next time I will try peeling the apples and see if I like it better.
- Milk. Any kind, to brush on top of the puff pastry apple donuts before the cinnamon sugar.
- Raw cane sugar. Or any sugar you like, other than icing/powdered sugar.
- Cinnamon. To mix with the sugar. Is there anything better for apples than cinnamon sugar?
Tips on How to make Puff Pastry Apple Donuts
All in all, here are some of our suggestions you need to know before making the Puff Pastry Apple Donuts:
- You could peel the apple, because after baking, the skin gets tough.
- You will have a bit of waste for the apples. Eat the leftovers, or make an apple sauce.
- Core the apple and cut into rounds, then widen the hole with a round cutter. Otherwise, you will never be able to work the puff pastry around the apple ring. In the next photo, in the bottom right corner, you see our first apple donut where we didn't widen the hole in the middle and it was very hard to run the pastry strips through.
- We squeezed some lemon juice on the apple rings because they oxidize quickly in the air.
- Puff pastry warms up pretty fast, and it gets trickier to roll around without tearing/breaking. Work fast, or place it back in the fridge if you see it is getting stickier.
- We cut 1 cm wide strips and left some space in between the strips when rolling around the apple. Use 2-3 strips each apple ring.
How to make Cinnamon sugar
After you've wrapped the puff pastry around the apple rings, place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Brush the tops with some milk, then sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
To make cinnamon sugar: mix in a small bowl 30 g of raw cane sugar with 1 teaspoon of cinnamon. Jar any of the leftover mixture to use on toast, cinnamon buns, etc.
Lastly, bake the puff pastry apple donuts in a preheated 350°F convection oven until golden brown and crispy. You can bump the temperature on a regular bake to 375°F. They should bake in about 20 minutes. Make sure to check them often as every oven is different. Leave a little longer in the oven if they need it.
The taste test
On the whole, we love all apple desserts as they are comforting and delicious. These Puff Pastry Apple Donuts are none the less. They have a crunchy exterior with a lovely cinnamon flavor and when you bite in, the soft lusciousness of the apple comes through to delight your tastebuds.
I'm sure many of you have puff pastry in the freezer and apples in the fruit basket. Why not make these puff pastry apple donuts for your loved ones? In a little more than 30 minutes you might be enjoying this delicious apple treat!
How To Serve And Store
These Puff Pastry Apple Donuts are best eaten the same day. They are delicious on their own, and indulgent warm, with a dollop of ice cream.
Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days. Reheat in the oven for a few minutes.
More apple bakes for you to try
- Apple and Amaretti cake, Torta di mele e amaretti
- Old fashioned Rhubarb apple turnovers
- Homemade Apple Pie with Oatmeal crumb topping
- Dutch Apple Tart, Hollandse Appeltaart
- Torta di Mele (Apple Cake with Olive Oil)
- Crostata Mele e Crema (Apple and Pastry Cream Crostata)
- 1 rectangular sheet of puff pastry, thawed
- 2 apples
- 2-3 tablespoons milk, any kind
- 30 g raw cane sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 375°F regular bake or 350°F convection.
- Remove the puff pastry sheet from the freezer and let thaw.
- Then, use a pizza cutter to cut long strips in the dough about 1 cm wide. Set back in the fridge while you slice the apples.
- Wash the apples, and peel, if you prefer.
- Using an apple corer remove the core from the apple. Then cut into apple rings of about 1 cm thick. Leave aside the top and bottom. You should have between 8 to 10 apple rings. Widen the hole with a round cookie cutter or a shot glass.
- Squeeze lemon juice over the slices to prevent oxidization.
- Mix the sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Pour the milk in another bowl.
- Wrap each apple ring with the puff pastry strips. It will take 2-3 strips for each apple ring.
- Brush the apple rings with milk and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes or until golden brown. Check them often as every oven is different. Leave in the oven a little longer if needed.
- Remove from the oven and let cool slightly before enjoying them.
Instead of removing the core from the apples, you could cut slices first, and then remove the core on each slice with a round cookie cutter.
A pizza cutter works better than a knife to cut strips of puff pastry dough.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
Keywords: apples, baked, cinnamon, sugar, easy, puff pastry, how to, delicious, viral trend
I love baking and kneading dough because it takes me to a happy place in my soul.