Honeydew Kiwi Yogurt Smoothie is a refreshing super healthy way to start off your day. Beautiful ripe honeydew with its subtle sweetness, paired with the somewhat tart juicy kiwi all swirled with fruit juice, yogurt, and maple syrup gives you everything you may need to kickstart your day and metabolism.
Song of the day: "Dreamers" by The Royal Foundry.
Honeydew Kiwi Yogurt Smoothie blends fresh flavors and creamy goodness that leaves you feeling vibrant and healthy ready to tackle what comes your way in your day!
Honeydew is that pastel colored globe of earthy goodness that comes this time of year in our produce markets. Its thick strong skin leaves nothing but imagination to discover the wonderful texture and flavor of this incredibly juicy fruit. Here are seven things you may want to know about honeydew melons:
- Where did honeydew come from: Well as far as we know it was cultivated centuries ago in southern France and Algeria.
- The honeydew family: Honeydew is part of a melon family known as the Cucurbitaceae (Gourd) family, divided into two groups, fruits (melons), and vegetables (squash, pumpkins, and cucumbers).
- The relation between cantaloupe and honeydew: Yes they are related. A wedge of honeydew has enough vitamin C to fulfill half the daily amount, also has only 64 calories and 14 grams of natural fruit sugar. Cantaloupe has over 120 per cent of the recommended daily amount of vitamin A, with 108 percent of the recommended amount of vitamin C with the same amount of calories.
- How to choose a ripe honeydew: Look for the waxy not fuzzy surface of the melon. When you press into it, it should bounce back, and it should feel heavier than its looks in size. One thing I do is smell the navel of the fruit. If it is sweet and aromatic, then I feel it is good.
- Cooking with melon: Typically it is eaten raw cut up or in fruit salad, and as we have done a smoothie. It can also be wonderful in chilled soups. Whether using it in a savory or sweet in a warm way is really up to the freedom of your creativity, and I feel it is well worth the adventure.
- The abundant capital of honeydews: Cavaillon, a town in Provence France, claims itself to be the capital of Honeydew production. There is a funny story about the novelist Alexandre Dumas. They say he asked for 12 melons a year until his death, in exchange for his work which was donated to the town public library. Fascinating!
- Honeydew "The Temptation Melon": Typically the flesh of the honeydew is green, but I bet you didn't know that some are orange on the inside. You may be thinking it is a cantaloupe, but know it still has the appearance of the honeydew on the outside, but inside is orange, go figure! This mutant of a melon is called "The Temptation Melon". There is a new temptation and that is the marriage of honeydew and kiwi!
Enough facts, let's just use this melon and create Honeydew Kiwi Yogurt Smoothie!
I think the key elements to a smoothie is first of all fresh fruit, some fruit juice, milk, something sweet and healthy like honey or maple syrup, and for the creamy factor, yogurt. You can take it to a luscious more delectable level and use ice cream, but Nicoletta and I are keeping it healthy and fresh. The only other thing I like to do is put in some ice cubes.
With all that being said, Nicoletta and I decided that honeydew was going to be our main fruit and that some added kiwi will add a nice crisp bite to the mix and keep that lovely color. The fruit juice is a mango peach orange blend. You can use whatever juice your heart so desires, or simply what you have in your fridge. The yogurt, a creamy plain organic, and I only use organic milk as I have become very fond of it. To sweeten the pot some wonderful maple syrup.
I love the simplicity of a smoothie. Nicoletta and I have of late boarded the smoothie train. I feel it has increased my health and metabolism. Whether I have concrete evidence of this is irrelevant. The truth is, it is what I feel and that is good enough for me. In go all the ingredients and a few good pulses and twirls till it becomes smooth and creamy, a little garnish of fresh basil, and your key to a wonderful day. I add the ice cubes last and only a few will do ya.
The honeydew kiwi combination gives the color of this smoothie a wonderful pastel calmness. I love the freshness of this smoothie. The honeydew shines through with that sweetness that is subtle and so delicious. Combine in the kiwi and that tart kick is a nice way to break up the flavor profile. The yogurt and its acidity marry very well with the combination of tastes, and the maple syrup smoothens everything over making it a dream like experience. The textures are magnificent. The bits and pieces of melon and kiwi play on the tongue, and that yogurt is so smooth and velvety which makes it feel like a waltz of texture and experience. Those surprise hits of basil awaken the sense of smell and taste, while the ice cubes add a surprise element that aids in the frothiness of this smoothie. I love those little trinkets of crystallized water that melt so lovingly on your palate leaving your mouth feeling fresh and ready for the next excursion.
I believe the first steps you take in the very beginning of the day set the stage for how the day will go. Positive start, positive end provided you keep building on that very same start. Some may say that the day will bring some negative, and that may be true. How you deal with it is crucial. Many say they are loving and kind, and that by denying something means to not be compassionate, loving. I say that you can walk away in the kindest way respecting whatever negative there may be. The most important thing is being kind and loving to yourself, the rest will take care of itself.
Even Bailey our cat wanted to start her day right! So start your day on a great note. Get that blender out and create this wonderful Honeydew Kiwi Yogurt Smoothie!
Song of the Day: "Dreamers" by The Royal Foundry.
P.S. I am so proud of this Canadian group. Incredible music that is hitting the charts!Print
- 4 sliced wedges of honeydew, skin removed and cut into small pieces
- 1 kiwi, peeled and cut into pieces
- 1 cup of mango peach orange juice
- ¼ cup organic 1% milk
- 3 Tablespoons organic plain yogurt
- 1 Tablespoon 100% pure organic maple syrup
- 3 -4 ice cubes
- chopped fresh basil
- In a blender toss in melon, kiwi.
- Pour in fruit juice.
- Add in milk, yogurt and maple syrup.
- Pulse on a medium speed till mixture starts to smoothen.
- Stop blender and add in ice cubes one at a time till all the cubes are in.
- Set blender to a medium speed and blend for 1 minute.
- Pour smoothie into a tall glass.
- Add few chopped fresh basil leaves.
- Ready to serve.
You can use any juice you want or have.
For sweetener, honey or agave syrup work well too.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Serving Size: 2-3 servings
Making our recipes? Take a pic and tag us on Instagram: #sugarlovespices. You’re going to be in our gallery!
Disclosure: All links in our post are NOT affiliate links. They are only about products or places we normally purchase and like.
When I am not cooking, I enjoy playing musical instruments, singing, writing. I have learned over the years to live in gratitude and enjoy the moment.