- 1.2 pounds spinach, washed
- 1 red onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons evo oil
- 1 1/2 cups feta
- 1/2 cup ricotta
- 1/2 cup parsley
- 2 tablespoons dried dill
- 6 scallions (green onion)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 package store bought filo pastry
- 1/3 cup evo oil for brushing
- Firstly we need to take the filo out of the freezer for a couple hours to thaw.
- Then, sauté the washed spinach in a pan with olive oil, and the minced onion for around 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Once the spinach has wilted and softened, place it in a large sieve and drain any excess liquid. We don't want that in the filo, it will make it soggy.
- The spinach now goes in a bowl and we toss in chopped scallions, ricotta, feta, the parsley, dill, and with a wooden spoon give it a good stir making sure all those ingredients are well incorporated. Taste for seasoning.
- Grab a 9"x13"x2" rectangular baking dish, and brush the sides and bottom with olive oil.
- Be very gentle with the filo, it is very delicate. Take one sheet filo and lay it into the dish allowing it to come up the sides We stagger another sheet so that all sides are covered. let the excess hang over the edges. Make sure to brush oil in the areas that overlap.
- Secondly, brush olive oil all over the first sheet of filo, and then add another and do the same, brush with olive oil and let excess fall over the edges.
- Thirdly, for the next layers cut the sheets to fit right in the dish without any going up the sides. make sure to brush each layer with olive oil. You want to use half of the filo sheets in the package before we place the spinach and feta filling in.
- Lastly, once all the spinach filling is in, we continue with the filo cut to fit and cover the spinach, then brushed with olive oil. Continue the filo process until all the filo is used up. Remember do not have these sheets coming up the sides. Too many layers of the filo create a very dense border that can be very difficult to eat.
- Just a finishing touch, do you remember the first two layers that we had come up the sides? We want to roll those in creating a nice crusty border all around the dish.
- Preheat the oven to 375° Fahrenheit. A final brush of olive oil and we also need to score the Greek Spinach and Feta Pie with filo pastry. This makes it easier to serve. If you were not to cut it, the filo is very crispy and would break apart if cut after baking. So with a sharp knife score the rectangle into 12 equal pieces. Do not cut into the filling, just the top layer.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30-40 minutes, or until golden and crispy.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 30-40 minutes
- Category: appetizer
- Method: stovetop/baked
- Cuisine: Greek
Keywords: Greek food, Spanakopita, feta, ricotta, Greek appetizer, spinach, dill, filo pastry, parsley,