For the gnocchi
- 500 g potatoes (Russet, Yukon gold, or red skin with yellow flesh)
- 150 g flour plus more when shaping gnocchi
For the sauce
- 150 g Gorgonzola cheese
- 1/4 cup half and half cream or heavy cream
- a handful of grated Parmigiano
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, save some for garnish
- dash of black pepper
- dusting of Parmigiano
- Warm up a sauté pan on low heat, break up Gorgonzola and place it in the pan. Stir with a wooden spoon and as Gorgonzola starts to melt, add the half and half cream and stir.
- When the sauce has become creamy, add the Parmigiano and stir again.
- Then, add the chopped walnuts and remove from heat.
- Have a pot with plenty of salted water on medium/high heat. Cover with a lid until water starts to boil.
- Gently place gnocchi into boiling water and when they all come to the surface (about 6-8 minutes) scoop them up with a strainer and place them delicately into the creamy sauce mixture.
- Coat gnocchi with the sauce, tossing gently.
- Plate gnocchi and finish with some crumbled walnuts, grated Parmigiano, and freshly cracked black pepper.
You can substitute Gorgonzola with Cambozola or Taleggio.
You can reduce the amount of Gorgonzola if you want a more mellow flavor and up the amount of cream.
If you do not want to use cream, you can use the pasta water but it will be less creamy.
Omit the walnuts if you want it nut-free.
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Pasta
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: gnocchi, homemade, italian, pasta, gorgonzola, parmigiano, walnuts, dinner, delicious