Ginger Sesame Green Bean Stir-Fry, a simple yet delectable side dish that will definitely pair well with a plethora of main dishes. Green beans are still gracing our organic farmers’ markets, and they look fabulous. Pick up a bunch and try this dish, it is fabulous!
Song of the day: “Another Brick in the Wall” by Pink Floyd.
A fabulous side dish……………
Ginger Sesame Green Bean Stir-Fry, a side dish full of flavor from the sesame oil to the soy sauce, and the garlic to the ginger, with just a touch of Chinese five spice to liven things up.
Fresh is best………
I come from an Italian family, and having fresh vegetables in the summer was the norm. My mother and father loved gardening and growing green beans was one of their favorites. So when I see these lovely crisp thin long green beans in the market I light up with many fond memories and the delicious ways to prepare them.
Naturally, Nicoletta and I were at one of our regular Thursday night farmers markets and a stop at Steve and Dan’s sent us home with one of my favorites, yes you guessed it, long green beans.
As a kid………………..
Many years ago, when I was a kid, there were things I loved doing. Riding my bike, playing outside, using my imagination, playing instruments, however, for my time I was a bit different and loved cooking. I especially loved prepping beans. My mom or dad would pick the beans from our large garden, or what I thought to be a large garden. Then, we would all sit and break the ends off the beans and wash them.
Water was my best friend………..
My parents would do a lot of their gardening prep outside. When it came time to wash the veggies we had this large metal vat. When water was involved I was there like a kid at a toy store getting my hands in the water washing those beans. I can hear those sounds of the trickling water as I write this. Such fond memories and I have to thank my parents for exposing me to such great gardening and food!
Oh, by the way, I am still a water baby and if you have ever had a chance to see our back yard giardino you will see that water is my best friend.
Now back to these delicious beans!
Simple ingredients, simple cooking……………..
All you need for this Ginger Sesame Green Bean Stir-Fry is:
- Fresh long green beans
- A nice pinch of ginger
- peanut and sesame oil
- Soy sauce
- Vegetable stock
- Sesame seeds
- Chinese five spice
- Salt and pepper
Stir fry all the way…….
One of my favorite cooking techniques is stir-frying. I love how it preserves the freshness of the vegetables and it is quick and easy. For this Ginger Sesame Green Bean Stir-Fry, it is no different. The process goes something like this:
- Splash some peanut oil and sesame oil into a wok, along with the garlic and ginger, and heat.
- Toss in green beans which you can blanch in boiling water first for a few minutes, it is really up to you.
- Season with Chines five spice, salt, and pepper.
- Pour in a bit of vegetable stock and soy sauce.
- Top with sesame seeds.
- That’s it, ready to serve with a garnish of thinly sliced green onion.
Out of this world good………….
I wish you could smell the aroma in the kitchen, the sesame oil, garlic, and ginger has me salivating and the nice char on the beans has me wanting to steal a few before they hit the table. I won’t tell if you don’t.
That al dente texture is superb. The nice bite as my teeth break into the bean is music to my ears. The combination of the oils brings such smoky nuttiness to the mix, however, the ginger, garlic, Chinese five spice has my taste buds singing the mmmmmm song. The soy sauce and vegetable stock provide just enough saltiness to beans that have this juiciness to them in every bite.
Eat your veggies………
I am sure everyone has heard this line before. “Eat your veggies!” Well, that doesn’t mean they have to be those steamed lifeless have to give them CPR that was the norm back when. This Ginger Sesame Green Bean Stir-Fry is a great way to elevate an already extraordinary vegetable.
Lucky for us we have a lot of passionate farmers growing wonderful produce, hence creating amazing dishes like this one. As a result, you have a side dish that pairs well with many mains like roasted chicken, BBQ steak, and a lot of other options!
Give this one a try!
Song of the day: “Another Brick in the Wall” by Pink Floyd.Print
Ginger Sesame Green Bean Stir-Fry, a simple yet delectable side dish that will definitely pair well with a plethora of main dishes. Green beans are still gracing our organic farmers’ markets, and they look fabulous. Pick up a bunch and try this dish it is fabulous!
- 260 g fresh long green beans, ends cut and washed
- 2 Tbsp peanut oil
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 1 Tbsp chopped ginger
- Dash of Chinese five spice, onion and garlic powder, salt and white pepper
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp vegetable stock
- 1 1/2 Tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 green onion cleaned washed and cut into this diagonals
- Sprinkling of sesame seeds
- Bring a pot of salted water to boil, add beans and cook for 5 minutes, toss beans in cold water, drain and set aside.
- Pour oil into a wok and toss in ginger and garlic.
- Turn on heat to a medium to high setting and let ginger and garlic saute for a few seconds. Do not allow garlic to burn.
- Add in beans and stir fry for 1-2 minutes. Season with Chinese five spice, onion and garlic powder and finally salt and pepper.
- Pour in soy sauce and vegetable stock add some sesame seeds and stir fry for another 6-8 minutes until desired texture is achieved.
- Garnish with sliced green onion and some more sesame seeds.
- Ready to serve.
- Blanching the beans is optional. If you like your beans a bit more crunchy then toss them into the wok after washing and drying them.
- You can use the combination of vegetable oil and sesame oil, or go straight sesame oil for that extra smoky nutty flavor.