- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 2 Tbsp Shaoxing cooking wine
- 1 large egg white
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground white pepper
- 3/4 cup chicken or vegetable stock or water
- 1/4 cup Shaoxing cooking wine
- 2 Tbsp Chinkiang black vinegar
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce (we use light soy sauce)
- 1 tsp hoisin sauce
- 2 Tbsp tapioca starch
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 4 cups vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup tapioca starch
- 3 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp minced fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup dried red chiles
- 1 Tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
- 2 Tbsp thinly sliced scallions greens
- Combine all the marinade ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Add the chicken cubes and stir well. Let marinate for 20 minutes.
- Combine all the sauce ingredients in another bowl and mix well.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a wok over high heat until it is shimmering, about 375° F.
- Put the tapioca starch in a large bowl and roll the marinated chicken cubes in the starch. Be sure to coat each piece generously.
- Fry the chicken cubes in the hot oil in two batches until they are golden brown, about 4 minutes.
- Drain the chicken cubes and set them aside on a double layer of paper towels.
- Remove all but 2 Tbsp of the vegetable oil from the wok. Add the garlic and ginger to the wok and stir-fry for about 30 seconds. Stir the sauce mixture so the starch is blended completely and pour it into the wok. Cook until the sauce thickens, about 1 minute. Return the chicken to the wok and quickly toss the pieces in the sauce. Add the sesame oil and stir into the chicken.
- Garnish with the toasted sesame seeds and sliced scallions greens.
- Serving Size: 3-4 servings