- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup whipping cream (or milk, or half and half)
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- Sprinkle chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cups cornmeal
- 10 Crimini mushrooms chopped fine
- 2 green onion stalks chopped fine
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/8 cup white wine
- 3 drops white truffle oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup grated Fontina cheese
- 1 cup fine Italian style bread crumbs
1. In a medium pot pour in water, olive oil, cream, and throw in parsley, dried thyme, and salt.
2. When the mixture starts to simmer and little bubbles appear around the edges slowly start to sprinkle in cornmeal a little at a time continually stirring with a whisk until all the cornmeal is in.
3. Once the cornmeal starts to thicken take a wooden spoon and stir constantly.
4. Cook until polenta starts to come away from the sides of the pot approx. 20 minutes, remove from heat and let cool.
1. In a sauté pan pour in olive oil and bring to a medium heat.
2. Toss in green onion and garlic and sauté for about 1 minute or until onion softens.
3. Toss in mushrooms and cook for about 5 minutes, then toss in thyme, rosemary, and cook for another couple of minutes.
4. Pour in white wine, and cook until all wine has dissipated about 2-3minutes, then finish with drops of white truffle oil take off heat and let cool.
1. Take a tablespoon of the polenta and flatten it into a circle the size of your palm.
2. Sprinkle with a bit of grated Fontina cheese, and place 1 tsp of the mushroom mixture on top.
3. Finish with some more grated fontina then slowly fold the outside perimeter into the center covering the cheese and mushroom mixture.
4. When filling is covered form polenta into a ball pressing firmly to ensure polenta is nice and firm around filling.
5. Place ball into bowl of bread crumbs and roll until well coated, then place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
6. When all the polenta bites are formed and breaded, pre-heat oven to 400° F (200° C).
7. Place baking sheet with polenta bites into oven and bake for 20 minutes or until surface turns a nice golden brown.
8. Take out of oven and plate. Ready to serve. Enjoy!
The cook time includes the cooking time for the polenta, the mushrooms, and the final baking of the polenta bites.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Appetizers
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Italian