Fluffy Lemon Ricotta Pancakes. If there is a breakfast that could make us excited and keep us from going out to start the day it is these incredibly light, airy, lemon-scented, ricotta rich pancakes with a crisp edge!
- 3 large farm fresh organic eggs, divided
- zest of 1 small lemon
- 2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup good quality ricotta cheese
- 1 vanilla bean pod
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 cup of double zero (00) flour
- 1/8 cup of sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 and 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- In a bowl sift flours, salt, sugar, and baking powder.
- Zest one lemon into the bowl with the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Take the eggs and separate the yolk from the whites.
- Place the yolks into a bowl and mix in milk, the insides of the vanilla bean, lemon juice and ricotta cheese. Mix.
- Slowly pour wet ingredients into the dry and blend till nice and smooth.
- Take the egg whites and mix until stiff peaks form. (I usually hold the bowl over my head, if it is not all over me, then it is good 🙂 ).
- Now fold the egg whites into the batter, carefully, until well incorporated, but do not overmix.
- Heat up a skillet with some butter or oil and place nice spoonfuls of batter forming about a 6-inch circle.
- When batter starts to form air pockets flip over and cook till nice and golden brown, and crispy on the edges.
- Plate a nice stack on a plate, drizzle with maple syrup, and top with a homemade jam (or a good quality store-bought), or fresh fruit.
- Ready to eat!
- You can use the vanilla extract, however, if you want to maximize flavor the vanilla bean is exceptional.
- Use whatever toppings you love: fresh fruit, chocolate sauce, fruit syrup, whatever your heart desires!
- Want to try something amazing? Take some good quality vanilla ice cream and roll it in the pancake, totally yummy!