Fluffy Lemon Ricotta Pancakes. If there is a breakfast that could make us excited and keep us from going out to start the day it is these incredibly light, airy, lemon-scented, ricotta rich pancakes with a crisp edge!
- 3 large farm fresh organic eggs, divided
- zest of 1 small lemon
- 2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup good quality ricotta cheese
- 1 vanilla bean pod
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 cup of double zero (00) flour
- 1/8 cup of sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 and 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- In a bowl sift flours, salt, sugar, and baking powder.
- Zest one lemon into the bowl with the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Take the eggs and separate the yolk from the whites.
- Place the yolks into a bowl and mix in milk, the insides of the vanilla bean, lemon juice and ricotta cheese. Mix.
- Slowly pour wet ingredients into the dry and blend till nice and smooth.
- Take the egg whites and mix until stiff peaks form. (I usually hold the bowl over my head, if it is not all over me, then it is good ???? ).
- Now fold the egg whites into the batter, carefully, until well incorporated, but do not overmix.
- Heat up a skillet with some butter or oil and place nice spoonfuls of batter forming about a 6-inch circle.
- When batter starts to form air pockets flip over and cook till nice and golden brown, and crispy on the edges.
- Plate a nice stack on a plate, drizzle with maple syrup, and top with a homemade jam (or a good quality store-bought), or fresh fruit.
- Ready to eat!
- You can use the vanilla extract, however, if you want to maximize flavor the vanilla bean is exceptional.
- Use whatever toppings you love: fresh fruit, chocolate sauce, fruit syrup, whatever your heart desires!
- Want to try something amazing? Take some good quality vanilla ice cream and roll it in the pancake, totally yummy!
- Category: breakfast/brunch
- Method: Stove top
- Cuisine: North American
Keywords: brunch, breakfast, eggs, butter, lemon zest, vanilla bean , ricotta, pancakes, flour, egg whites,