For the base:
- 300 g Graham crackers, gluten-free, or regular
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of nutmeg
For the pastry cream:
- 4 egg yolks (organic free-range, if you can)
- 365 g half & half cream or whole milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1/3 cup + 1 Tbsp cane sugar
- 1 heaping Tbsp cornstarch
For the meringue:
- 4 egg whites at room temperature
- 1/2 cup cane sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- pinch of salt
For the base:
- In a bowl add crumbs, butter in small chunks, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Using a pastry cutter, work the butter into the mix until it forms a pebbly texture.
- Get a 9-inch pie plate and grease inside with butter, pour crumb mixture, and press onto bottom and sides till it is evenly distributed.
- Place in the fridge until it is set.
For the cream:
- Divide the eggs yolks in one bowl, whites in another, set aside whites.
- Pour cream into a saucepan along with the paste from a vanilla bean or the vanilla extract if using that and begin to heat until it starts to slowly simmer and a film forms. Take that film off and discard.
- While the cream is heating up, whisk the egg yolks and sugar until it becomes creamy and frothy.
- Sprinkle in the cornstarch and whisk again till smooth.
- Slowly pour the warm cream into the yolk mixture, whisking constantly until all the cream is in. Pour back into saucepan and place on low heat. Keep whisking and cook until cream begins to boil and thicken. Take off heat.
- Pour cream into a sieve over a bowl and work it through with a spatula. Scrape any cream on the bottom of the sieve, then cover cream in bowl with plastic wrap pressing the film onto the top of the cream. Place in the fridge to cool.
For the meringue:
- When vanilla cream is cooled, take the egg whites, add the cream of tartar, plus a pinch of salt, and begin to mix using a hand blender or stand mixer on high.
- Slowly add the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time until stiff peaks form.
Assembly and baking:
- Pre-heat oven to 350° F (180° C).
- Take the crust out of the fridge along with the pastry cream. Pour cream into the center of the crust and with a spatula work the cream evenly throughout the crust.
- Place the meringue mixture onto the cream and smooth it out with a spatula then use that same spatula to create textured peaks. Just place spatula flat on the meringue and pull up.
- Put the pie in the middle rack of the oven and bake for about 5 minutes until the meringue begins to turn a golden brown. Watch it carefully as it could burn easily.
- Take the pie out of the oven and place on a cooling rack. When the pie is cool, it is ready to serve.
If you are not gluten intolerant then use ordinary graham cracker crumbs.
Make sure the egg whites are at room temperature as this will give you a perfect end result meringue.
When adding sugar into the egg whites add 1 tablespoon at a time. This will ensure that the air will not be kicked out of the mix, and air is something we need to make a beautiful meringue.
Some people sprinkle a bit of the graham cracker crumbs on top of the pie before baking, it is up to you and personal preference.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: dessert
- Method: stove top/ baking
- Cuisine: Canadian
Keywords: flapper pie, meringue, vanilla cream, classic, Canadian, cinnamon, nutmeg, gluten free, pie, dessert,