Scrumptious Grilled Fish Tacos for Taco Tuesday! Fish Tacos made with halibut and an array of toppings. Fresh, vibrant, with a little spice, these tacos are always a favorite in our house.
Song of the day: "Spice Up Your Life" by The Spice Girls.
Love at first bite
Way back when, my only experience with tacos was at our local fast food joint serving the typical beef and cheddar tacos. Years later, on a trip to Mexico, I found that the world of tacos was bigger than I thought and my love for Mexican food was ignited.
It was a street food vendor that opened my eyes. In the morning he served breakfast tacos: a kind of huevos rancheros. In the later day that changed to a variety including amazing fresh fish tacos. The memories of all that freshness, the grilled fish, the wonderful acidity and spice, amazing. It truly was love at first bite and today I am sharing the passion I felt that day, with you! Scrumptious Grilled Fish Tacos for Taco Tuesday, a wonderful meal that will tantalize your taste buds!
Our ingredients for Scrumptious Grilled Fish Tacos for Taco Tuesday:
I think by now those who know us, know that we love our fresh organic produce. However, this year we grew some wonderful things and some that we are using in this recipe today! Here is what you will need:
- halibut (or a fish favorite of yours)
- evo oil
- paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin, coriander
- cherry tomatoes (ours were homegrown)
- purple onion
- mixed lettuce greens
- jalapeno pepper (again, homegrown)
- fresh basil
- dried oregano
- balsamic vinegar
- mild Gouda
- tomato salsa
- avocado salsa
- any of your other favorite sauces (I used a garlic chipotle I bought from our local Mexican Store)
Dry rubbing the fish
Since I am grilling the fish on our barbecue, I want to get a lot of flavor into it. The end result, some lovely flavor but not too much that the meatiness and luxuriousness of the halibut is lost! This is how I roll with that:
- Firstly I rub the fish with extra virgin olive oil.
- Secondly, I sprinkle the fish with all those lovely seasonings, onion and garlic powder, salt, pepper, paprika, cumin, coriander, and depending on how hot you want it spicy, a dash of chili powder.
- Lastly, I let that sit a bit so all the seasoning can get acquainted with the flesh of this halibut!
Prepping the garnishings
While that fish is getting all kicked up in flavor, I am going to get all my other things ready for the tacos:
- First, I took some washed and spun salad mixed greens and broke them up, and into a bowl that goes.
- Secondly, halved a variety of cherry tomatoes and tossed them in a bowl with evo oil, salt, pepper, dried oregano, minced onion, fresh chopped cilantro, jalapeno, and basil, and a splash of balsamic vinegar.
- Lastly, I grated up the Gouda cheese!
Grilling the halibut for our Scrumptious Grilled Fish Tacos for Taco Tuesday!
I have preheated the barbeque to a nice 400 degree Fahrenheit temperature. I have a grilling pan that heated up in there as well. Now time to get that fish all caramelized, charred, and flavorful, and onto the grill it goes. Watch it because it cooks very quickly. About 5-7 minutes a side and it will be done. This all depends on the thickness of the fish as well. Optimally we want about a 145 degree F temp. Take off grill and let rest. We need to also grill the corn tortillas, and then we are going to assemble these lovely Scrumptious Grilled Fish Tacos for Taco Tuesday!
Putting the tacos together!
This is what I love about Taco Tuesday, it's fun, interactive, and you can be creative in the way you construct your own. This is how we did ours!
- Firstly, I sprinkled some grated Gouda onto the warm tortilla, then added some of the garlic chipotle.
- Secondly, on goes the halibut that I pulled apart a bit. Beside the fish, some of the dressed tomatoes, and on the other side, the salad greens.
- Thirdly, time to add some spice with a little tomato and avocado salsa, and we sprinkled a little more grated Gouda, just because!
Scrumptious Grilled Fish Tacos for Taco Tuesday, a thing of beauty, aroma, and flavor!
I love all the colors happening here. The cherry tomatoes add that pop of color that entices the eyes. The salad greens tie the colors of the fish and tortillas beautifully! The aroma of the spice and the fish is making my mouth water. Time to fold and take a huge bite!
Yum, Yum, and more Yum!
OMG! The first thing I taste is the freshness and it pairs so wonderfully with the spice and meatiness of the fish. The tomatoes just wow the palate and brighten the flavors so well. I love the tomato and avocado salsa. Just enough heat to give a little BAM, however, not too much where my palate is fried. That gouda is subtle yet comforting and gives a lovely texture to the mix. I love how the cheese at the bottom of the tortilla has melted and aids in keeping the fish in the taco!
Whoever thought of Taco Tuesday, just have to say, brilliant! I always get excited for Tuesdays knowing that it is going to be a Mexican night: either tacos, nachos, quesadilla, we love it all. Even more excited to know that these Scrumptious Grilled Fish Tacos are going to be for dinner. Bring a little spice into your Tuesday life and give these amazing tacos a try! Enjoy!Print