Fettuccine alla Greca (Greek Style Fettuccine). Looking for an easy, fast dish for a weeknight meal? Then you have found it. Less than a half-hour and you will be sitting at your table spinning this wonderful pasta right into your mouth! The creaminess accompanied by the texture and beautiful notes of this dish will get you nothing but praise!
- 200 g fettuccine (Rustichella d’Abruzzo)
- 300 g fresh baby spinach
- 2 Tbsp e.v.o. oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 yellow onion minced
- pinch of red chili flakes
- 1 cup goat feta cheese crumbled
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano
- Parmigiano Reggiano
- Salt for seasoning water and sauce
- Get a large pot of salted water on boil.
- In a medium saute pan, drizzle in oil and bring to low to medium heat. Toss in minced garlic and onion and saute for 2 minutes.
- Very slowly start to add handfuls of the fresh washed spinach and cover. Let saute till wilted and softened, about 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and grated nutmeg and taste. Remember, the feta is a bit salty along with the Parmigiano, so don’t over season.
- Time to add the feta and whipping cream, stir, and let simmer for about 10 minutes on low heat.
- When water starts to boil, throw in fettuccine and cook as recommended on the package. The one I used said 14 minutes. I tasted it at that time and added 1 more minute.
- With tongs or a slotted large spoon, put pasta into the sauce allowing some of the pasta water to get in. This will make the sauce nice and creamy.
- Finish with fresh grated Parmigiano Reggiano and it is ready to serve.
When buying pasta look for one that has a coarse surface. This will allow the sauce to stick to it better, hence good tasting pasta dish!
Watch the seasoning, feta and Parmigiano are salty to begin with, so season with a light hand.