- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1/4 cup roasted red peppers, chopped
- 1/4 tsp chili pepper flakes
- 1 cup whipping cream
- few leaves of fresh basil
- 350/400 g farfalle (bow ties) pasta
Roasting the peppers:
- Wash the peppers and place them whole in the oven on the top shelf. Place a rimmed baking sheet filled 1/2 with water underneath them. That helps to keep them moist while catching the juices dripping from the roasting peppers. Broil them on low for few minutes, checking on them constantly and turning them as they turn black on one side. To remove the skin, cooling them in a sealed plastic bag helps loosen the skin from the flesh of the peppers. Discard the core, stem and seeds. Chop them roughly. Set aside.
Making the cream sauce:
- In a saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; cook garlic until slightly golden, about 1 minute.
- Add sun-dried tomatoes, roasted red peppers and chili flakes.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in cream, simmer until thick enough to coat back of spoon, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in basil.
- Cook the pasta in boiling salted water according to the time indicated on the package.
- Drain, but keep some of the water in case you need to lighten the sauce if it gets too thick.
- Place the pasta in the saucepan with the sauce and toss to coat well.
- Plate and add fresh basil, if wanted.
If the cream sauce gets too thick, add a few tablespoons of the pasta cooking water.