Excellent Roasted Lamb and Potatoes, Roman Style is a favorite in Rome especially at Easter. Properly, it is called "Abbacchio al Forno con Patate", a great, easy recipe that requires very few ingredients but delivers in robust intense aroma and flavor.
Lamb and potatoes:
- 6 rib rack of lamb
- 3-4 lamb chops
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2-3 sprigs of rosemary
- 3 Tbsp evo oil
- 1/2 cup white wine, divided
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper
- 7 medium size red skin potatoes
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges, for the brine
Chicory (dandelion, cicoria):
- 1 bundle of dandelion or cicoria
- 2-3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- pinch of red chili flakes
- dash of salt and pepper
- First of all take your lamb and place it in a bowl of cold water and lemon. Make sure meat is submerged in the water. Cover and place in the fridge for 2 hours or overnight.
- Drain lamb from the brine and pat dry. Cut the rack of ribs into individual pieces and place in a large roasting pan with the lamb chops.
- Take the potatoes, peel, wash, and cut in half lengthwise. Place in roasting pan with the lamb
- Drizzle a good amount of extra virgin olive oil over the lamb and potatoes. Season with salt and pepper and toss. Turn lamb over and season again with salt and pepper. Splash some white wine in.
- Add a couple of sprigs of fresh rosemary and 2 bay leaves, and brush the lamb and potatoes with it, then place it in the pan. Cover and place in fridge for an hour.
- Pre-heat the oven to 400° degrees F. Place pan in middle rack uncovered and roast for 20 minutes.
- Take out of the oven, turn lamb and potatoes, add about another 1/4 cup of white wine and place back in oven for another 20 minutes. For the final 10 minutes turn heat down to 350° F. Take out of the oven and let rest for 10 minutes. Ready to plate.
- Wash, trim and blanch chicory in a lar pot of boiling water for 10 minutes.
- Drain and squeeze excess water when it cools.
- In a medium sauté pan, drizzle in olive oil, place in garlic after you squishes it a bit, and also the red chili flakes. Swish that around and turn on heat to medium.
- Toss in cicoria and break it up Season with salt and pepper and cook for 10 minutes. Take off stove and plate.
For the lamb you could use lamb chops, rack of lamb, a variety of cut lamb pieces, or lamb shank cut. Try and find a nice lamb with plenty of marbling and fat.
Yellow or red potatoes work well.
You can brine for a few hours and marinate overnight too, if that works best for you.
As for a side, wilted greens like spinach, kale, work well, but also a nice salad would work too.
Remember you need time for brining and marinating, it is not included in the preparation time.
- Category: Main/side
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: Roasted lamb, roasted potatoes, rosemary, white wine, garlic, bay leaves, Chicory, Family-style, Easter lunch, italian, rome